Ranchers.net Bull Session

Hey Gcreek

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Hey Gcreek

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:30 am

The smoke is bad enough way down here,can't imagine what it's like close to the fires.

Stay safe, lets pray for rain.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:39 pm

And less lazy, incompetent, money hungry fire "managers" looking for a big paycheque this year. The Elephant Hill fire is over 60% caused by escaped back burns. Can we say farming?
Don't tell people your problems, half of em' don't care and the other half are glad you got em' We can all run the neighbors better'n our own

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:38 am

In this area, at least when I was growing up ages ago, they were called Prairie Fires, even tho there was some farming in the area. There were still huge areas of native grass, much of it harvested for hay by crews of people who came into the area somewhat like the wheat harvesters some years later after much of the prairies were turned into farms. I'm talking mid-1940's to maybe 1955 or so, in the area I somewhat 'knew' as a child born in 1940. It was roughly bounded by Hayes, Murdo, Kadoka, Philip, 4-Corners, back to Hayes, each community being within 20 to 30 miles of Midland. That distance being about the farthest my family travelled at the time except for a rare trip to Pierre. I was between age six and 14 in that time frame. Fires terrified me, beginning with a grain elevator fire in Midland, about a block from my home when I was maybe five or six. The flames lit up the night and I was sure we were all going to go up in flames as we didn't have a car at the time. I remember several large prairie fires after we moved to my grandparents ranch ten miles from Midland, but it has been may years ago and we have better equipped rural fire departments and the volunteers have some training, tho likely not really enough, and there aren't enough young guys, they seem to do a great job when needed.

I haven't seen many plowed or other types of fireguards in recent years. Realizing many fields are on such a large scale that probably isn't practical and with financial rewards for agriculture so unstable these days, they seem to need every inch of ground producing something, but stopping fires might be worth some sacrifice.

Not sure how we could do it on big areas of native grasses and forbs which make up many ranches, but roads and trails we roughly grade up on our ranch to enable quicker hauling of hay, etc. would slow things down a bit. The fires in the area in past year or two have been driven by such wild winds, nothing helped much except for sudden direction change of those winds, along with the desperate (and lucky!!!!) volunteer fire fighters.

There do seem to be complaints against 'government' fire departments for not knowing and even discounting the value of expertise of the volunteer rural firefighters' knowledge of their area. We have even heard of rural areas where the land owner is forbidden by local 'rules' to go fight fire on his own property! That would be awfully hard to take if ones' own property was burning.

We do seem to be getting some rain in spots of west central SD this morning. And some high winds and hail. Even flooding on the lower Bad River near and in Ft. Pierre. A very welcome .38" here, and heard of a 2.5" less than 20 miles n.e. of us. Still cloudy, but some may be our 'share' of the eclipse.

With total sympathy for those still fighting fires in their areas. Smoke has been difficult for some with breathing problems, and must be so much worse closer to the source.

mrj

jedstivers

Postby jedstivers » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:26 pm

That's hard for someone like me to even imagine.
No way a fire can get to any size here.
We burn fields off even.

cow pollinater

Postby cow pollinater » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:59 pm

jedstivers wrote:That's hard for someone like me to even imagine.
We burn fields off even.

That was a real struggle when my wife and I were trying to drum up local support for the fires in Kansas and western OK earlier this year. People here had no clue what kind of devastation we were telling them about. We took video when we went to Ashland and it blew people away to see that kind of destruction. I grew up in CA, which is a tinder box six months out of the year and I wasn't prepared for some of what I saw.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:01 pm

cow pollinater wrote:
We burn fields off even.

That was a real struggle when my wife and I were trying to drum up local support for the fires in Kansas and western OK earlier this year. People here had no clue what kind of devastation we were telling them about. We took video when we went to Ashland and it blew people away to see that kind of destruction. I grew up in CA, which is a tinder box six months out of the year and I wasn't prepared for some of what I saw.

Won't know until fall but thinking livestock losses there were more than this will end up being. Still, 30,000+ cattle affected on 2,000,000 acres + who knows what the losses will be. Know of several hundred dead or euthanized already. Some folks that were struggling financially will likely go broke over this issue. Feel so bad for so many friends.
Don't tell people your problems, half of em' don't care and the other half are glad you got em' We can all run the neighbors better'n our own

cow pollinater

Postby cow pollinater » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:52 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
cow pollinater wrote:
We burn fields off even.

Won't know until fall but thinking livestock losses there were more than this will end up being. Still, 30,000+ cattle affected on 2,000,000 acres + who knows what the losses will be. Know of several hundred dead or euthanized already. Some folks that were struggling financially will likely go broke over this issue. Feel so bad for so many friends.

I doubt anyone will have any hard numbers for a long time to come. We went to Ashland about a month after the fire and they were still finding and destroying cattle.
With as much fence burned up in all these fires there's really no way to get an accurate count.
Even the stuff that survives is going to be set back for at least a year at least so who knows how many cattle that made it will still wind up being a cull because of all of this.

cow pollinater

Postby cow pollinater » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:00 pm

gcreekrch wrote: Feel so bad for so many friends.

Yes. I've always considered myself a cattleman first but that trip made me realize how much the people mean to me. I hate that business suffers, I can't stand the thought of the stock that has suffered, but both of those have already dulled with time for me. What I won't ever, ever, forget is the image of a little boys bicycle still on it's kickstand on a chunk of concrete that used to be someones front porch with every ounce of rubber and paint completely obliterated along with the house it stood in front of. That image won't ever leave and when I think of it I remember the way his grandmother hugged me when we started unloading the trailer.
It's the people part that matters.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:19 pm

cow pollinater wrote:

Yes. I've always considered myself a cattleman first but that trip made me realize how much the people mean to me. I hate that business suffers, I can't stand the thought of the stock that has suffered, but both of those have already dulled with time for me. What I won't ever, ever, forget is the image of a little boys bicycle still on it's kickstand on a chunk of concrete that used to be someones front porch with every ounce of rubber and paint completely obliterated along with the house it stood in front of. That image won't ever leave and when I think of it I remember the way his grandmother hugged me when we started unloading the trailer.

I wish there was a LIKE button. Well said.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:16 am

Silver wrote:
cow pollinater wrote:

I wish there was a LIKE button. Well said.

Yes.

Return to “Ranch Talk”