Ranchers.net Bull Session

Hay Making

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Hay Making

Postby Silver » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:23 pm

Its a touch late but not much. If weather favours us we are often wrapped up by the Aug 10th or so. Also depends on when we are able to get the green feed seeded. We were lucky to get planted in decent time this year before it started raining. Some guys were finishing seeding in July.
If it wasn't so dry I'd start plowing up some used up hay land but I doubt the plow would stay in the ground.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:37 am

One day of cutting hay left. 25 acres of oats in mid Sept.
Don't tell people your problems, half of em' don't care and the other half are glad you got em' We can all run the neighbors better'n our own

m5farm

Postby m5farm » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:21 pm

I would love to see a pic of September oats. Our oats have to be baled in April early may if you want them in milk. They are combined in may and June and typically has beans or cotton plamredbin the stubble. I sprayed my hay patches yesterday to kill the bahaia. Hoping for rain this week so I can get fertilizer out and cut again in 4 weeks.

m5farm

Postby m5farm » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:35 am

I picked up the buggy with fert yesterday. Thinking we would get rain today. well no such luck it was raining by 1pm and When I got home at 5 we already had an inch. I got it spread in the light rain . had issues with bridging in the buggy from moisture but got it out. we got a few more tenths overnight so it should really take off. the forecast has generous amounts of rain the next 2 weeks so the 4th cutting is looking like it will happen if the temps hold above 70 at night

highgrit

Postby highgrit » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:05 am

Some folks like to kick sand. Sounds like good timing to me.

m5farm

Postby m5farm » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:14 am

Fixing to start cutting 80acres of rank grass this morning. The guy wants field cleaned up. About 50 acres is decent the other is trashy. But I should make a few bucks peddling it .

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:45 am

Don't tell people your problems, half of em' don't care and the other half are glad you got em' We can all run the neighbors better'n our own

TexasBred
Rancher
Rancher

Postby TexasBred » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:57 pm

m5farm wrote:Fixing to start cutting 80acres of rank grass this morning. The guy wants field cleaned up. About 50 acres is decent the other is trashy. But I should make a few bucks peddling it .

Did you get it rolled up yet?? How did it turn out??
Nothing but a beggar trying to show other beggars where I found bread.

m5farm

Postby m5farm » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:28 pm

Got 1/2 rolled yesterday, blew a oring on hyd line on tractor. I'm rolling right now . it's decent hay . looks about like 1.5 bales to acre. After I had cut 50 acres he told me not to cut pond bottom. It had alot of maiden cane but it really wasn't worth cutting

m5farm

Postby m5farm » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:31 pm

TexasBred
Rancher
Rancher

Postby TexasBred » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:33 pm

m5farm wrote:Image

Good big windrows. May not be the best hay in the world but as someone said "It will make a turd". A little supplement may be necessary.
Nothing but a beggar trying to show other beggars where I found bread.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:35 pm

Always best to test your hay. Then you know what you have and if you need to supplement. 10% protein hay in the north is fine for a range cow, as long as they get plenty of it. Sometimes the ranker hay is harder to digest, so if they have more, they can go through it and get the best (you can't fool an old cow) and then work on the remainder in the afternoon. That's what we did and it worked well. Lots of 10% protein hay and we didn't supplement it except with mineral.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Return to “Ranch Talk”