Ranchers.net Bull Session

Delivering DDGS to the herd?

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
LCP

Delivering DDGS to the herd?

Postby LCP » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:54 am

I bought 100 ton of DDGS this summer to use as a protein supplement this winter while grazing cornstalks and dormant range. Now the question becomes, how do I get it to the cows? (It was much cheaper than alfalfa per unit of protein, so I bought it without worrying about delivery) The largest herd I have is 330 head of young cows, 5 miles away. I would like to make a trip every 3 days. I'm figuring 3 lb per head per day, so 9 lbs x 330 hd = 2790 lb. Probably should make it 3500 lb because I know there will be waste, despite feeding it on 4' wide conveyor belt. To my knowledge there isn't a cake feeder big enough to hold that much DDGS. And I don't really want to tie up the back of my pickup all winter. Here's what I've come up with so far:

1) I have a small forage wagon that I think would dispense it ok. Except I hate driving the tractor down the road that much.
2) buy an old ground-driven manure spreader. Except I don't think I'd want to pull that down the road real fast, and still might not be enough volume for 3000 lb of ddgs.
3) buy an old fertilizer spreader and cut off the spinners. Except that might not get around real good in the snow behind the pickup. And the pitch on the sides might not be steep enough to keep the ddgs flowing?

Any suggestions?

m5farm

Re: Delivering DDGS to the herd?

Postby m5farm » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:30 am

do you have access to a auger wagon ? I have small snowco one that holds 3 ton that I use for by product pellet we have made here. I don't feed near what you do but old technology works pretty good.

m5farm

Postby m5farm » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:50 am

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:38 am

my neighbor feeds it on the ground and has about zero waste they lick the dirt clean to get every morsel of course the ground is frozen. Put it in a grinder mixer and feed it out the discharge auger.
If your dreams don't scare you there not big enough!

joestout

Postby joestout » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:00 am

1) I have a small forage wagon that I think would dispense it ok. Except I hate driving the tractor down the road that much.
2) buy an old ground-driven manure spreader. Except I don't think I'd want to pull that down the road real fast, and still might not be enough volume for 3000 lb of ddgs.
3) buy an old fertilizer spreader and cut off the spinners. Except that might not get around real good in the snow behind the pickup. And the pitch on the sides might not be steep enough to keep the ddgs flowing?
4) Move to Texas.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:20 pm

joestout wrote:1) I have a small forage wagon that I think would dispense it ok. Except I hate driving the tractor down the road that much.
4) Move to Texas.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice to see you back, haymaker!
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

joestout

Postby joestout » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:24 pm

Yes good to be back, I tried to sign in with my old stuff but I guess I was banned (smile)
Good Luck

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:18 pm

Nah, no one was banned. Especially not you :wink: .
How are things with you and how are things in Texas? We've missed you!
Sure terrible about that church shooting today. :cry2:
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Strong

Postby Strong » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:27 am

joestout

Postby joestout » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Faster horses wrote:Nah, no one was banned. Especially not you :wink: .
How are things with you and how are things in Texas? We've missed you!
Sure terrible about that church shooting today. :cry2:

Aint that sumthin damn idiots are every where nowadays, I think he killed 8 members of one family including a 4 yr old and shot a poor old geezer 74.

LCP

Postby LCP » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:34 pm

joestout wrote:1) I have a small forage wagon that I think would dispense it ok. Except I hate driving the tractor down the road that much.
4) Move to Texas.

We spent Christmas 2015 in Corpus Christi visiting my sister in law. I noticed a lot of ducks by the ocean...mallards, teal, pintails, etc...same ducks we have during the summer. I got a little jealous. Thinking those birds aren't so dumb after all!

LCP

Postby LCP » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:36 pm

m5farm wrote:Image

Looks like a handy outfit. I'm wishing my bale bed was operated by an engine pump rather than electric over hydraulic...then I would convert one of those boxes over to a hydraulic orbit motor and run it off the pickup.

Return to “Ranch Talk”