Ranchers.net Bull Session

Delivering DDGS to the herd?

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
LCP

Re: Delivering DDGS to the herd?

Postby LCP » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:37 pm

Strong wrote:https://www.herdbossllc.com/

I saw those when I was researching, but they are on the small side.

Has anyone used a Meyerink ear corn feeder? They look to have the capacity I'd need. Except they Really take up the whole back of the pickup.

LCP

Postby LCP » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:39 pm

This thing is coming up on a retirement auction next week. I wonder if I could make it into sort of a "dump box" for my bale bed, have a small hole in the end and let it flow out as I drive along? Then I could set it off when I'm not using it. Might be worth a try?

m5farm

Postby m5farm » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:26 am

LCP wrote:
m5farm wrote:Image

Looks like a handy outfit. I'm wishing my bale bed was operated by an engine pump rather than electric over hydraulic...then I would convert one of those boxes over to a hydraulic orbit motor and run it off the pickup.

With the technology today im sure it could be converted pretty easy. the self contained hyd log splitters would give you the tank pump and engine. just need to match a HYD motor to it then you could pull and feed with anything. I transfer the pellets I feed to 5 gallon buckets for my little bunch.

m5farm

Postby m5farm » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:39 am

If you have a bale bed couldn't you just get some super sacks and use it to hoist the bag and open the tube on sack and drive ??? if you trying to get in troughs just build a slide off to the side so the tube drops into it and flows down the chute. might have to engineer some longer arms.

RSL
Rancher
Rancher

Postby RSL » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:38 am

We built a nifty feed dispenser for the bale deck this summer out of an old fuel tank. It will hold a lot of feed, and you could build it bigger if you manufacture your own. I will try to grab some pics, or google Nifty Feed Dispenser.
You can't teach a stick to fetch a dog...
www.roundrockranching.com

m5farm

Postby m5farm » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:19 am

RSL wrote:We built a nifty feed dispenser for the bale deck this summer out of an old fuel tank. It will hold a lot of feed, and you could build it bigger if you manufacture your own. I will try to grab some pics, or google Nifty Feed Dispenser.

that's pretty nifty

turning grass into beef

Postby turning grass into beef » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:57 am

I have seen a home made nifty feed dispenser made from a combine tire.
"I've never been rich enough to be able to afford poor bulls" - Northern Rancher

LCP

Postby LCP » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:44 pm

RSL wrote:We built a nifty feed dispenser for the bale deck this summer out of an old fuel tank. It will hold a lot of feed, and you could build it bigger if you manufacture your own. I will try to grab some pics, or google Nifty Feed Dispenser.

I made one as well, out of a floater tire, but it only holds about 700 lb of DDGS. If my math is right, I don't think I could get 3500 lb of DDGS in two tires and still be able to lift them with my bale bed. 1750 lb of DDGS plus the tire is more than I could handle.

1750 lb ddgs / 15 lb/cu ft = 117 cu ft
Need a cylinder 4 ft wide x 6 ft tall for 117 cu ft. That's a big (heavy) tire. Maybe fabricating one out of metal would be lighter.

4Diamond
Rancher
Rancher

Postby 4Diamond » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:37 pm

Maybe feed less more often??

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:37 am

I would buy an older mixer wagon I have a Patz 240 we gave $1500 for at least 7 years ago found a gehl on craigslist my friend bought for $1800 then your feeding options are endless and they have scales on them. Of course you'd have to drive a tractor so the cowboy costume would need to be re-arranged.
If your dreams don't scare you there not big enough!

George
Rancher
Rancher

Postby George » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:47 pm

Denny wrote:I would buy an older mixer wagon I have a Patz 240 we gave $1500 for at least 7 years ago found a gehl on craigslist my friend bought for $1800 then your feeding options are endless and they have scales on them. Of course you'd have to drive a tractor so the cowboy costume would need to be re-arranged.

It is not hard to put a small gasoline engine ( about 25 HP ) on the tounge and a 4 to 1 reducing gearbox, electric start and electric clutch and then you can do it all with your pick-up
Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
Watch your words, they become your actions.
Watch your actions, they become your habits.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:18 pm

George wrote:
Denny wrote:I would buy an older mixer wagon I have a Patz 240 we gave $1500 for at least 7 years ago found a gehl on craigslist my friend bought for $1800 then your feeding options are endless and they have scales on them. Of course you'd have to drive a tractor so the cowboy costume would need to be re-arranged.

It is not hard to put a small gasoline engine ( about 25 HP ) on the tounge and a 4 to 1 reducing gearbox, electric start and electric clutch and then you can do it all with your pick-up

They get heavy. My two feeding tractors go 27 mph I drive about 3.5 miles each day each way its not so bad and tractors were made for this work pick-ups not so much
If your dreams don't scare you there not big enough!

Return to “Ranch Talk”