Ranchers.net Bull Session

Twins

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
TexasBred
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Twins

Postby TexasBred » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:16 pm

A pretty good read on affect of nutrition on pregnancy rates, incidence of multiple births etc. Protein, Energy, Vitamins and Minerals are all extremely important. Not the high incidence of twins in dairy cattle with their extremely nutrient dense diets compared to beef breeds.

https://en.engormix.com/dairy-cattle/ar ... t36126.htm
Nothing but a beggar trying to show other beggars where I found bread.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:33 pm

Silver wrote:Sold 3 bottle feeders yesterday for $450 ea. Took no time after listing, folks showed up with cash and hauled them away. As of today the twins that are left are in a pen with their mothers in case I need to steal one.

If that doesn't work, nothing will. :D
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

RSL
Rancher
Rancher

Postby RSL » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:06 am

That's almost worth listing the calves right off the cow! Nice to have a time consuming chore gone for the right price. I think sometimes twinning is exacerbated by forage conditions peaking (rain or other factors being just right) just as breeding season starts, and especially so if cows are going into breeding just a touch thin. I don't like twins here, but for the most part we don't intervene, graft or bottle feed a twin.
You can't teach a stick to fetch a dog...
www.roundrockranching.com

jodywy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jodywy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:36 am

RSL wrote:That's almost worth listing the calves right off the cow! Nice to have a time consuming chore gone for the right price. I think sometimes twinning is exacerbated by forage conditions peaking (rain or other factors being just right) just as breeding season starts, and especially so if cows are going into breeding just a touch thin. I don't like twins here, but for the most part we don't intervene, graft or bottle feed a twin.

so if you have a cow have a dead calf and you have a set of twins,so you cull the cow with the dead calf?
"Every once in a while, I’m overwhelmed by the feeling that I’ve done something REALLY STUPID." -Hank (Hank the Cow Dog ,John R. Erickson)

RSL
Rancher
Rancher

Postby RSL » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:27 pm

jodywy wrote:
RSL wrote:That's almost worth listing the calves right off the cow! Nice to have a time consuming chore gone for the right price. I think sometimes twinning is exacerbated by forage conditions peaking (rain or other factors being just right) just as breeding season starts, and especially so if cows are going into breeding just a touch thin. I don't like twins here, but for the most part we don't intervene, graft or bottle feed a twin.

so if you have a cow have a dead calf and you have a set of twins,so you cull the cow with the dead calf?

Sure do. Anything we help at calving for any reason (even a heifer) gets an orange ear tag and then it goes in the fall regardless of the resulting calf. We are a bit odd in that we don't tag anything (other than purebreds) at birth, but we tag and DNA at processing. If we treat a calf we put an orange tag in the calf and if the mom is around we put her number on the orange tag. That way we know the calves to check and if they have been treated and can/can't go into a natural beef program. Most of our twins we would never see born and might not even know about for a few days. Not the system for everyone, but works for us. Being heartless/ruthless about culling means I am not very good at dealing with calving problems anyway, since we don't get a lot of practice here.
You can't teach a stick to fetch a dog...

www.roundrockranching.com

Return to “Ranch Talk”