Ranchers.net Bull Session

It was cold this morning

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

It was cold this morning

Postby Soapweed » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:19 pm

It has been rather cold for this time of year, and not especially good calving weather.

My friend and forty-mile-away neighbor, Shane Kime, reported the weather conditions at his ranch this morning. He posted:

"So cold out this morning that I had to heat up the cleanings in the microwave so the dogs could eat them!"

That is cold! :cboy:

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Re: It was cold this morning

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:46 pm

It was so cold up here you had to heat the dogs up in the micro wave.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

DustDevil

Postby DustDevil » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:33 am

I know y'all up North would be laughing at us but, it is 47 deg. on the back porch this morning on the Gulf Coast.

Does the chill wind seem colder
when cold returns in Spring ?...
after sun has warmed the ground
and rain did flowers, bring.

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:40 am

DustDevil wrote:I know y'all up North would be laughing at us but, it is 47 deg. on the back porch this morning on the Gulf Coast.

Does the chill wind seem colder
when cold returns in Spring ?...
after sun has warmed the ground
and rain did flowers, bring.

I like the poem! And I believe the answer is yes! However, approximately 100 miles ne or Soapweed, it hasn't warmed up any yet! Nor are there any flowers......just a little very cold rain. There is frozen residue of it on my front step yet at 9:30AM. It is 36% and I believe the overnight low was about 29%, better than most have been lately. Pretty hard on baby calves born out in the brush, tho I believe all our snow is gone......again.

mrj

DustDevil

Postby DustDevil » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:43 am

Hoowee ! Hope you get some weather conducive to grass growth. My Brother lives in Edgemont, SD in the " Bananna Belt" where it's see sawed between winter and spring.

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:43 am

I shouldn't complain....some dams needing it badly are full and pastures got a pretty good drink. Believe the rain gauges showed 5" +/- over a few weeks time. And didn't freeze them hard enough to break! Our soils and native grasses and forbs seem to make awfully good use of the little moisture we get, so have hopes for some grass.

Got another touch of snow overnite, and still foggy and overcast but getting lighter around the horizons.

mrj

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:50 am

After all the snow storms, I think the thought of lots of green grass is what keeps everyone going. Hoping this will be the 'next year' in next year country. You know, always waiting for it to get better....and sometimes it does!
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

leanin' H
Rancher
Rancher

Postby leanin' H » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:00 am

We have been chilly as well. 9F 2 nights ago. But we got a beautiful rain storm Saturday into Sunday that dropped over a half an inch. When it warms up, the grass ought'a really start growing. I turned my cows out on some leased ground. I am still feeding them a little, but they have lots of last years grass to pick through while they chase any green new 18' grass.
A poor ride beats a great walk any day!
<Parry Taylor>

Return to “Ranch Talk”