• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Walt Heacock Photo

Help Support Ranchers.net:

OldDog/NewTricks

Reaction score
An old friend "George Kirchner" died years ago – I went over to help his widow Move - - a I was goint through JUNK I found this

Scan0002_0002.jpg

The Date is 1940

Scan0003_00032.jpg

Walt Heacock at 86 in 1988

I have many memories of their stories while his Wife served the beer

Walt was born in 1902 in Groton S.D. one of 20 children and often talked of a brother Charlie - The family left S.D. after a Fire leveled their ranch.

I seamed like everyone I knew as a youth has a World Champion Saddle for some event from 1915 to 1940 and that brought many questions in my mind.

Walt told me that in those days every Rodeo Proclaimed their own World Champion

Interesting Site:

http://www.kclibrary.org/localhistory/list.cfm?list=coll&CollectionID=157

It seems like I have heard the Kirchner name before OD/NT. Was he a rider too?

Why don't you tell us some good stories from those days? I enjoy your pictures.

George Kirchner
He was the owner of Kirchner's Saddle in San Martin, Ca.
He was one of my Lead Electricans when I started out and sold tack out of his garage at night - I was riding colts at night for RED FOX MORGAN HORSE RANCH - when winter came that was hard with rain and early darkness.

The ranch owner bought a 10 acer old chicken farn with (3) barns and several out buildings. We took 6" of dirt out of one barn and made a Ropeing Arena/Bucking Chutes.

We Tied the North/ South Ends of the other two Barn together to make a Inside Track so we had an Oval Track with Box Stallon each side and two 30'x150' excerise pen in the middle. We also had 2 Roping Areans, a Covered Grandstands and other arenas.

We also had Lights and an A+ sound system so I could ride colts to "Gun Fighter" music

I talked George into opening a Saddle Shop and Leather Repair in another building.

It was known as the "Chicken Palace" in these parts.

All we needed was the Silver Saddle Bar that 2 miles down the road but the horses knew the way home!

George is in the Burro Hunters photo I posted here

Can you put the photo of Walt Heacock on the board again. When I click on the link it says there isn't anything there. Walt and his wife Boots taught me to trick ride back in 1945 or so in Stockton,CA and I've been trying to contact his kids if possible. They had a son and a daughter about my age (81) and they might still be alive. I've thought of all of them over the years but didn't know how to contact them and then I ran across this web site and so I'm giving it a try.

Thanks,

Jim Emerson
Stockton. CA

I go to Stanford at least once a week to take my wife for treatments. Maybe I could look you up some time. I was trick riding at 10 or so, roping and cutting until I found out there were cars and girls. My dad was one of the founders of the Pacific Coast Cutting Hore Ass.That all stopped, the horses that is, at about 18 years of age.

Old Dog/New Tricks hasn't been on the forum for quite some time, so I don't know if you will be able to find out anything.
Those posts above were made in 2006. (Wow, how time flies. :shock: )
He shared some interesting things with us through the years.
At any rate, good luck to you.

Latest posts