• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Looking for information on Sandhills Cowboys

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sandhillbilly

Reaction score
Does any one have information on the Man known as "Arkansas Bob Gilispe". His grave marker is in the Valentine cementry and I have come across references to him in the book "Bartlet Richards Nebraska Sandhills Cattleman".
I am also looking for imformation on Roy Erickson and John Lisco.

See if you can find a copy of the book SADDLESTRINGS by Olin Waddill. It contains stories of both Arkansas Bob Gillespie and Roy Ericson. I don't know where you would find information of John Lisco, although I would guess the town of Lisco might be a place to start.

Robert F. Gillaspie, familiarly known as Arkansas Bob, died at his home on the Gillaspie ranch June 19, 1906, after an illness of almost a year. Funeral services were held at the Gillaspie ranch in Wednesday, the 20th, at 2 p.m. by the Rev. Hunt of the M.E. church. His remains were interred at th Gillaspie grave temporarliy. Bob enjoyed a very large circle of friends and acquaintances, all of whom knew his as a large hearted, hospitable, and jovial good fellow. He was born in Clark county, Arkansas October 22, 1861, being 44 years, eight months and 28 days at the time of his death. He came to Cherry county in 1883, helping trail a herd through for S. R. McNutt, of the Arkansas ranch now owned by the Metzer Bros. He was employed by W.E. Waite, of the TO connected outfit the spring of 1884 and remained in his employ until the year 1887 when he and Ira Richardson took the cattle on shares and has been connected with that brand of cattle up to the time of his death. He was married to Mrs. Leila S. Gillaspie September 16, 1900. From this union there were born two daughters, Alice Marie aged three years and Roberta Fern, aged two months. He leaves a wife and two children, an aged mother, Mrs. I. F. Gillaspie, and three brothers, William S. , Alexlander L., and James L. Gillaspie to mourn his death, all of whom have the sincere sympathy of the community. a neighbor. (The Republican, Valentine, Nebraska, Friday, June 29, 1906
I. H. Emery went out to the Gillaspie ranch last Sunday and exhumed the remains of the late Robert F. Gillaspie which were brought to this city Thursday evening and on the following morning interred in the Mount Hope cemetery at the request of relatives of the deceased. Ernest Marks assisted Mr. Emery in bringing the remains here (The Republican, Valentine, Nebraska, Friday, February 22, 1907)
{A monument was erected by his friends, in Mount Hope cemetery in Valentine and dedicated May 30, 1928, section B, lot 49, grave 3}

I don't have an obituary for Roy Erickson, he died about 1973, was in a wheel chair for about 30 years from a fall from a horse. He was a well known horse charmer. He had spent some time with Charles Russell, "painting and drinking whisky". I recall about 4 years ago some older men giving a talk at the Cherry County Museum recalling some of the things he did. Leaving for town one time, his wife asked him to bring a loaf of bread when he came back. About a year later he came back with the loaf of bread.

I haven't heard of this Gillaspie before...but I thought it strange that we have 2 pastures we call Gillaspie....They've always been called that,,,now I wonder how they got their names...hmmmmm :???:

Thanks everybody for the information. the book "Saddle Strings" is a little hard to find.
I got hurt last spring and spent alot of time reading. I had always thought these men's story's would be worth reading.

We have found a book called Saddle Strings, by O.B. Waddill. We know nothing about it but we will be listing it on ebay, for more info, please feel free to email us at [email protected] or are user id on ebay is dolphintoo2002. Thank you

I happened to be talking to a guy today about Bob, his Grandmother is/was Arkansas Bob's niece. There family at one time had an old copy of a NebraskaLand magazine that had a article on Arkansas Bob.

I can get you in contact with this gentleman if you'd like.

Howdy jmack2!
I am looking for Information on your great-grandpa. From what I have gathered he came up to Nebraska with a herd. Worked for the Spade Ranch. Homesteded and had his own place. From the different accounts I have read he was quite a character and an outstanding individual. Have any Family stories surrivied?

jmack253 said:
I am Arkansas Bob's great-granddaughter

I am also a relative but not direct. If you've seen the Nebraskaland article about him which I think was from the late 60s, my grandmother was the young girl in the picture of the old soddy. My parents had a copy of that which was stolen over the years.

Latest posts