• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

This week in Christian History

Help Support Ranchers.net:

burnt

Reaction score
I find history quite interesting, particularly early church history. So, I will post a weekly link to a site that I visit pretty well every week.

I find that looking back at some of the historical events of our faith shows an interesting path that we have walked to get to where we are today - some great and memorable steps, and some very crooked steps along the way.

Some strange juxtapositions show up when seen in light of what we are today. For instance, one of my best friends is a Dutch immigrant and we have had many good times together, whether working or coffeeing. Yet this weeks historical reading shows us that his ancestors killed my ancestors because of a difference of beliefs - Calvinism vs. Arminianism.

So, if you like Christian history you can broaden your knowledge here! I am guessing that you might discover some interesting tidbits about someone in the history of your denominational background.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ch/thisweekinchristianhistory/

Interesting. We have some land that belonged to a Jack Canute. His brand was KC, I was always told it stood for King Canute.

"November 12, 1035: Canute the Great, Danish king since 1016, dies at age 41. The often ruthless king had restored churches and monasteries throughout his kingdom and built several new one"

Friedrich E.D. Schleiermacher, was born 242 years ago today. He was one of many liberal theologians whose teaching swayed theology off balance toward an overly "immanent" course - reducing recognition of the "Wholly, Holy Otherness" of God, in exchange for a human-centered, diluted form of expression of the Christian faith.

Such elements have had a huge and direct impact on how the Christian faith has been steered to where it is today.

Another excerpt - November 22, 1873: The French ship Ville du Havre sinks in the north Atlantic, killing all four daughters of Chicago lawyer Horatio G. Spafford. His wife survived, and Spafford immediately booked passage to join her in England. While passing over the spot where his daughters died, he began writing what would become the famous hymn "It Is Well with My Soul."

What is less known about the writer of this stirring hymn is that he died in a very poorly mental state suffering from serious delusions. We are reminded by this that "we have this treasure in earthen vessels".

So much to learn and reflect upon by looking at our Christian history.

And did you know that author C.S. Lewis, Aldous Huxley and John F. Kennedy all died the same day, November 22, 1963?

Today marks the anniversary of the first American annual and national Thanksgiving day as decreed by President Lincoln.

This week's glimpse of Christian History gives a a view of some of both the high moments and the low moments in our past. The positives includes events such as the births of some prominent Christian writers and steps toward desegregation.

On the other hand, this week's review of our past contains many chilling examples of Christians fighting with and even killing other Christians for differences of beliefs.

Sometimes I wonder if we are any different today . . .

On this week in 2009 one million plus Saskatchewanites simultaneously uttered a profanity when the 13th man flag was thrown then invoked a higher deity to make him miss the kick again. Today we see if our prayers will be answered for retribution. Don't mean to make light of your post Burnt-my ancestral farm in Scotland was a hideout when England had a Catholic ruler.

Northern Rancher said:
On this week in 2009 one million plus Saskatchewanites simultaneously uttered a profanity when the 13th man flag was thrown then invoked a higher deity to make him miss the kick again. Today we see if our prayers will be answered for retribution. Don't mean to make light of your post Burnt-my ancestral farm in Scotland was a hideout when England had a Catholic ruler.

damn...that was nearly 500 years ago.

This week gives us glimpses into the lives of priests, popes, preachers, writers and missionaries.

It was 170 years ago this week that David Livingstone set sail for southern Africa rather than China as he had originally planned. And the rest, as they say, is history . . . :)

Martin Luther burns the Pope's edict that orders Luther to recant his "heresies, (such as) justification by faith alone". The Pope didn't like it.

And, on December 11, 1918: Russian author Alexandr Solzhenitsyn was born, a man whose writing was instrumental in the collapse of the Soviet Union.

On this date in 1582, the Duke of Alva dies. He was sent to the Netherlands by the King of Spain to squelch the growing Reformation movement, killing hundreds, if not thousands, for being suspected of "heresy".

Also, in 1189 King Richard the Lion Hearted leaves to retake Jerusalem from the Muslims.

Closer to home, "December 12, 1712: The colony of South Carolina requires "all persons whatsoever" to attend church each Sunday and refrain from skilled labor and travel. Violators of the "Sunday Law" could be fined 10 shillings or locked in the stocks for two hours."

On Dec. 13, 37, Nero, future Emperor of Rome was born. Nero later did all he could to kill the new Christian movement and only succeeded in spreading it further with his violent persecution. Thus, the church grew.

Nero stands in strong contrast to the Emperor Constantine who 300 years later made Christianity the state religion. He made it compulsory to be a "Christian" to be in the army. Christianity became weak, watered down and sickly as a result.

So does the truth faith grow stronger in times of trouble or times of peace and prosperity? At which end of a sword does the Kingdom grow?

"December 18, 1865: Slavery is abolished in the United States as the Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution is ratified. . .

That is mighty interesting stuff Burnt. It is especially worth noting that the church grows under prosecution and shrinks when it is mandatory. Not much opposition in North America makes one wonder if that is why there is so much complacency with the church here.

December 21st, 1620 is a date that holds great significance to Americans!?

The 21st of this week in 1807 marks the death of John Newton, the man who wrote the hymn "Amazing Grace". John had been a hard-living man who indeed recognized the inestimable scope of God's grace.

Also this week in 1576, a prominent church leader protests the Queen's decree that his ministers sermons are too frequent . . .

. . . and far too many examples of people killing other people in the name of Christ - what is it about the Angel's Message that was missed back then and that we still we don't get today "peace on earth, goodwill toward men"?

And on Christmas Eve in 1818, Hans Gruber composes one of my all-time favorite Christmas hymns in St. Nicholas Church of Oberndorf, Austria - "Silent Night".

"Silent night, Holy night, Son of GOD!
Loves pure light radiant beams from thy Holy face,
with the dawn of redeeming grace,
Jesus, Lord, at thy birth,
Jesus, Lord, at thy birth".

What powerful imagery Gruber projects in that verse!

And much more about the "unstraight" road to our present day faith base.

I get too wordy here maybe, but when I look at the "unstraight" road that marks the progression of the Christian faith through the ages and how the Living Word still moves and works in the lives of people today, it shows me that the work of the Almighty God has much more to do with His plans and power than it has to do with our feeble and often misguided efforts.

Yet, he welcomes our response and participation in His work! What a God we serve!

Have a Blessed Christmas, everyone!

This week's glimpse into our past tells us of a historic, destroyed saloon in Kansas, the birth (Whitfield in England) or beginnings (Finney in the US) of several great evangelists and the origin of several popular hymns.

And the commemoration of the passing of a man that greatly affected many of us today:

"December 31, 1384: John Wycliffe, pre-Reformer who initiated the first complete translation of the Bible into English and influenced Hus, Luther and Calvin, dies at about 64. He was condemned at the council of Constance (1415), . . ."

Little did John Wycliffe know that his work of translating the Bible into English would have a dramatic impact on the future of the church. Today, Wycliffe ministries are still translating the Bible into the languages of many indigenous peoples as they are discovered all across the world!

Today millions of people have the Christmas message available to them in their own language because of the dedication of a few people in the distant past, as noted in today's peek into Christian history. What legacy are you and I leaving for the faith? A little effort can produce great results for the Kingdom!

TexasBred said:
Very poor translations and 99% of the people could not read anyway.
How much of the "poor translations" were Kings furthering thier agenda?
Look at the belief women are subserveant to men. That is NOT what God had in mind. Yes man is the head of the house and has the final word in what happens BUT man is suppose to put those in his houshold before himself the way Jesus put "the church" ahead of himself.

It was explained to me by someone who had spent many years studing the bible text in the original language.
If the husband puts the wife above all and the wife puts her husband above all then each will be working together and for the best of thier family.

Jesus had many women who he went to for council on many different issues. He even said women are the heart of the church. He never said women should NOT have leadership roles. Why would he when he had them in leadership roles?

Man ( I mean man/woman) has warped the word of God to fit his agenda.

Ms Sage there have been none of the "original" manuscripts available for hundreds of years. There are copies of copies of copies available. But I agree that men and women are absolutely evil. I don't find anything in sacred scripture, history or tradition where women were leaders of congregations etc. They are some extrabiblical writings that give credence to them in lesser roles within the church must never in the magesterium. And you'll have to remind the of the parts where Jesus sought council from the women of that day.

Latest posts