• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Integra Moss or Bio Moss

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Swede

Reaction score
What are your opinions on this additive to mineral? It's supposed to help eliminate scours. I thought I would give it a try this season. I've heard people who are totally sold on it and I've also heard there is no data to prove it works. What say you?

It does work. There is an area in northern Mt that was plagued with
epidemic scours. It seemed nothing would help, though
many things were tried. A mineral guy found out about the problem, was
interested and developed a mineral with Bio-Moss. Now all the producers
in that area use it. The local vet could hardly believe it.

Yes, no smoke there. It works. I understand it is a type of sugar
in the small intestine and the bacteria attach to that and are eliminated
out the back end.

Let us know how it goes. I think you will be very satisfied, Big Swede.
You only need feed it for a window of time.

If you want, you can PM me with further questions. I'll try and help.

i havent seen or heard about this,googling didnt bring up much,where can u get this??

We began feeding Integra-mos from Ralco Nutrition last year. Our problem in years past hasn't been as much typical scours--we use a variation of the sandhills calving system and have plenty of room to keep the pairs spread out and constantly moving. Our problem has been baby calves wanting to lick sand, which can lead to some scours, stomach ulcers, and often death. We have tried lots of different minerals, lick blocks, salt blocks, etc, but just can't ever keep the calves from wanting to eat this fine Nebraska sand.

We bought the Integra-mos from our local co-op in 50 lb bags and mixed it ourselves in a custom mineral. Adding the Integra-mos was the only difference in our management, and the problems with sand eating was drastically reduced. We still saw plenty of calves licking on gopher mounds and whatever exposed sand they could find, but it seemed to take care of itself in most cases. Normally what happens is the sand kind of "scuffs up" the gut of the calf and causes alot of problems. We did treat a handful of calves with mineral oil or metamucil, but really got along great.

Feeding Integra-mos is designed to begin a month prior to calving. We used a lot of mineral boxes and made it as accessible as possible for the cattle to consume. We are using it again this year on our first calf heifers, and trying a different Gro-Moss which was premixed in the mineral on the rest of the cowherd as a test. Its still too early to tell alot because we only have 100 calves on the ground, but it will be interesting to see if things go good this spring.

I really believe there is alot of merit to the Mos products and I would highly recommend them.

cowwrangler said:
i havent seen or heard about this,googling didnt bring up much,where can u get this??

I'm pretty sure alltech sells bio-moss. They might not sell it in bulk, or direct to end user, but they'll definitely be able to let you know where you can get it.

Alltech South Dakota

Alltech South Dakota
700 32nd Avenue South
Brookings
SD 57006
USA

Tel: +1 605 692 5310
Fax: +1 605 692 5311

I was reading everyone's posts about the bio mos it's been a few years how has the bio mos affected your herds hopefully good we have had some
Bad spells of scours and are thinking strongly of
Trying this product!!!!

Added Rumensin 20 years ago to deal with Cocci. Added Bio Moss to our custom mix 5 years ago. We do vaccinate for scours. Almost don't touch calves other than the heifer bunch any more.

Latest posts