• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Lightning Strike

Help Support Ranchers.net:

tumbleweed_texn

Reaction score
Two weeks ago this evening we got our first little shower that we have had since early summer. I was watching it as I was coming home and thought to myself that I hoped we didnt get any fires with all the lightning that was poppin. By the time I got to the house the shower had passed and thankfully we had no fires with it.

The next morning though, I walked down to the corrals and found our stud horse laying there dead. We didnt have any fires, but one of those lightning bolts sure found our stud. I was just about sick. We were just starting to have people asking about colts out of him because he was such a gentleman to be around. Hopefully he got all of the mares bred this year.

I have been semi looking for his replacement, but was hoping to get a few more seasons out of him. Now I am looking in earnest. I found a couple of real good possibilities and may also have a chance to lease an older stud to the two prospects are mature enough. Not sure if I will even like either of the prospects, although they have great bloodlines and color and are out of a good program. Gotta figure out something before next spring though, or I gotta sell mares.

Tex

My condolences to you my friend.... :( All I can say is I know fasters and I would love to give you our two cents worth on any prospects you find... Hows that perino colt? I'd like to see pictures of him now.... Bess your heart... Take care. :(

The cremello is still here and doing good. He sticks out like a sore thumb. Driving down the road, he is most definetly the first one a person sees.

I will find out next month what the skinny is on the two prospects I found. The man was'nt sure what he was gonna do with them yet. He did allow he would probably sell them as he has too many studs. That is why he said he may even lease me a stud till whichever prospect I choose has matured.

When I found out more on whether Im getting one for sure, I will be glad to let you and FH critique them. I already know what you two will say though. Thats ok, H and LazyWP have already expressed an interest when we discussed this topic a while back.

The two prospects are Hancock, Driftwood and Peter McCue. One is a blue roan and the other a bay roan. Either one should cross well on our mares.

Tex

My cousin lost a nice buckskin gelding this spring to a lightning strike. He was standing 100 feet from the house in a 2 acres pasture lot. Sorry to hear it happened to ya too. :cry: Good luck in the search for a new stud.

Sincerely sorry to hear about the loss of young stallion. Doesn't matter how many plans we make, something unexpected can and does happen.

He must have been a good one cause you can't kill a bad one...

Yes, let us know what you wind up getting. Remember, not everyone
rides as many miles as you do and GENTLE is a pretty color!!! :wink:

Latest posts