• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I'm trying to find a copy of this movie

Help Support Ranchers.net:

OldDog/NewTricks

Reaction score
Maggini, the Top Hand

Quote from an Artical
In 1983 Pat was the Director of Photography on "Maggini, the Top Hand", a feature length film on the life and times of Charlie Maggini, the first World Champion Rodeo Cowboy. "Charlie was the last of the real cowboys. I was graced with the opportunity to ride with Charlie on his last ride. He was 86 years old. It was and always will be one of the greatest highlights of my career."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me:
I was supprise to learn that some of persent days leading Horse Trainers brag about spending a week or two riding/learning with Charlie.

Charlie became my mentor when I was around 12 years old (1950) - I would ride my bike up the hill to the Palasoil(sp) Ranch in the Gilroy Hot Springs and ride/learn from him.

When I got out of the Service (1957 to 1960) he was riding up at the Henry Cole Ranch and Lived on the corner of Medalf and San Falipe Roads.

Selling Pick-ups for San Jose Ford I'd spend many hours riding and learning from him Everyone that had anything to do with the Ranch had a bunk in the Bunkhouse. My Bunk was next to Charlies and I shared many of a bottle of "Deggo Red" along with his stories.

V_Key was born in 1983 and I became Mr. Mom soon after so - I've never seen the movie.

Can anyone Help Me?

I did a google search, came up with this website, not sure but, sounds like if you contact them they might still sell this movie.

http://www.stillnmotion.com/about/staff.html

Maggini
Born Aug. 9, 1894, in Hollister, Calif., Maggini made history in 1929 when he became the first PRCA member to hold multiple world titles after winning team roping and steer roping events.

Maggini influenced the careers of two-time world champion steer wrestler Jack Roddy and 1982 World All-Around Champion Chris Lybbert. In fact, Lybbert dedicated his world title to the late Maggini, who passed away earlier that year.

Maggini was also a respected horse trainer and pickup man. The last horse Maggini, then 86, trained went on to win the reined horse classes at California Rodeo Salinas and the Cow Palace. He was inducted into the National Cowboy Hall of Fame & Western Heritage Museum in 2003.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
I did a google search, came up with this website, not sure but, sounds like if you contact them they might still sell this movie.

Thanks Lilly - I have that one - I'll call them tomarrow - their 20 miles up the road.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:

I called Still N Motion to day and talked to Pat - - The 57 minute film was made for the San Jose Historal Museum - he says that to burn a one of a kind DVD will cost $110. if the can find the master - - Cost to produce a Master DVD to make copies will cost $310

Step One
- Find the Master
- - And contact San Jose Historal Museum

I was looking for a better copy of this movie online and this thread came up. I converted my VHS copy to DVD bit it isn't perfect. I can email it to you if you're still looking.

Latest posts