• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Clipping Border collies

Help Support Ranchers.net:

greybeard

Reaction score
We have an deaf old border collie that lays around on the deck. Her hair gets all matted and knotted. Can we get her shaved for the summer? If so,will it grow back normally?
Some say double coats don't regrow?

We had one BC that was heavy coated and I would trim up his bum area with clippers. I think some do what's called a "Summer clip" and trim up the bottom half of the dog but leave the top so it doesn't sun burn.

greybeard said:
We have an deaf old border collie that lays around on the deck. Her hair gets all matted and knotted. Can we get her shaved for the summer? If so,will it grow back normally?

Take that old dog to the groomer and have it done professionally - you will not regret it and the cost is minimal when you look at the final job.

Trust me - all coats will grow back.

That old dog needs a treat once in a while - I am sure she has earned it or you would not let her lay around like she does!

My best

BC

Broke Cowboy said:
greybeard said:

Take that old dog to the groomer and have it done professionally - you will not regret it and the cost is minimal when you look at the final job.

Trust me - all coats will grow back.

That old dog needs a treat once in a while - I am sure she has earned it or you would not let her lay around like she does!

My best

BC

I agree with BC. If she's old and deaf and has never been groomed (shaved)
before, it could really scare her. The pro's know how to do it in the best way
possible for the dog.

I've actually witnessed older dogs that get groomed have more life after
they are all cleaned up. Be interesting if your dog reacts this way!

Good luck and it's very thoughtful of you to want to make her more comfy!

Lot's of people clip Border's and Aussie's. They grow back with no problem, and I've never seen one sunburn either. I agree on the groomer, it can traumatic for everyone involved clipping an older dog.

She went to town and spent the day at the spa. Came home with the summer clip. Looks as good as a well groomed cat.
The lady that did the job will be getting the old bird dog next. Wife said she was the best possible and non practicing Philippine vet to boot.
Thanks for all the replies. Worked out just as described.

Latest posts