Ranchers.net Bull Session

My journey in the last couple of weeks/months

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Re: My journey in the last couple of weeks/months

Postby sweetbasil » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:27 pm

Faster horses wrote:He always answers prayers, SB, just not always the way we want.

Hello SD Aunt!
Yes, you are right about God answering our prayers. In His time not my own. I know He does because when I hear my mom talk about Jesus, I can hear the excitement in her voice and I am in awe because God answered that prayer. Define Thanksgiving, my passion for God was uncomfortable and now, we can share it with each other and talk about God in a way I never though possible. She sent me a book titled "Waiting on God" and it arrived on Saturday. I know God is using this book to speak to me; I have learned soooo much about Him and " why" the waiting is needed.
There are 5 reasons God asks of us to wait:
1. " Listen to the Father and receive His clear direction"
2. "Walking in step with the Lord's schedule"
3. " To prepare for his blessings"
4. "To strengthened our faith"
5. "To sift our motives and desires"

I know that he is definitely working on numbers 2 and 4 in my life.

May you'll have a blessed week,
Sweetbasil

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sweetbasil » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:35 pm

mrj wrote:Sweet Basil, I'm so sorry your heart is hurting! Life is such a mixture of pain and glory and too often the pain seems more frequent than the glory moments. Patience can seem so hard to achieve when we desperately want something that just isn't possible at the time, or maybe in the way we want it. Of course your prayers are being heard, and maybe you can find some comfort in that fact while you wait for His timeline, or in an unexpected way. I almost wrote 'surprising', then recalled how much I do NOT like surprises, even good ones, so changed to 'unexpected'. Doesn't make much sense, except to the often strange (according to others in my life, that is) ways my mind works sometimes.

Re. the fishing question, I will try to find some answers for you, since, if I understand correctly, the place you want to fish is in MN, and you are now a SD citizen. There are different rules in different states. I wonder if the facility you plan to attend can answer your questions, as they may have exceptions to rules for their property. They might also have fishing equipment to loan or rent, which makes sense for first time 'fisherwoman'. If you don't want to eat the fish, maybe you could use a lure with no hooks! Once, while staging fishing with my two grandsons who were then about ages 9 and 14, we 'caught' several very small pan fish. They simply grabbed and hung onto the little bobber tied to the line on old bamboo poles. It was a 'photo op' preparing for the Environmental Stewardship contest of NCBA when our ranch won the four state regional award about 15 years ago.

I spent most of Wednesday playing with Jordyn, and feel like I'm still recuperating! She hadn't been to "great grandma's' house in more than two weeks, and had to check out all the 'treasures' she could find here. She will be four years old the first week of May, and is growing up and easy to care for, but still takes lots of energy to answer the questions, especially the "great grandma Maxine, should we......." and those take some effort, especially when it is warm enough to blow bubbles, play with sidewalk chalk, pick dandelions and other wild blossoms widely scattered across the very large 'back yard'. We did pick up lots of pine cones, but the grass was already too tall to find most of them, I'm sure. A grand nephew (high school age) has a mowing business and I hope he can work on ours this week-end. Probably everyone else will want him then, too. Jordyn kept me busy finding 'snacks', too. She loves dry cereal and drinks flavored carbonated water, giggling at how the bubbles tickle her nose. We have a large toy horse, like the one in some of those great Soapweed photo's, and she just got the idea that maybe we could take 'Comanche' to her house for a few days. We just may do that so she doesn't outgrow the thing before she has put any wear on it. Her little sister Jaycie is almost 18 months old, so she will get her turn, soon. It does take some strength and length of legs to make it move, though. Currently, Jaycie mostly uses her little rocking horse as a step to climb onto her play table to better what is going on outside her window! She is a climber, loving to get on top of the dining table, and even that makes a great grandma's heart beat awfully fast when that feat is accomplished behind my back! And in a very short moment, too. She is learning that is not allowed. But you sure can't those tiny people. Wonder why they are so determined to get to the highest point they possibly can climb. And why, as adults, some of are so terrified of high places????

Better get something done to show for the early rising time today. Making some English Muffin Toasting Bread is next on my list! Dinner will probably be at about supper time today, as the crew is going to Indian Creek to sort off some pairs into a different pasture. I think it is 26 road miles over there, so will be a long day and they rode on calving cows here first, but the pickup and trailer just went by my window, so the big event of the day is getting on the road, maybe even a bit ahead of schedule.

mrj

Hello SD Grandma,
Thank you for the words of wisdom, you are right about God answering the prayers in his time. It sounds like you are busy and having a good Spring. The English Muffin Toast Bread sounds yummy. Do you have a recipe for bread pudding? I :heart: bread pudding---- except that Marcello does not need any! Kids can always find a way to challenge us in a physical way :) I will check one the Goodwill store for the fishing equipment and see where I can go from there.

Have a blessed week,
Sweetbasil

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sweetbasil » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:44 pm

Greetings Everyone,

Today, I feel that God answered my prayer pertaining to given me a passion to read His Word. I have a new passion for reading the Word since Sunday after getting a hold of Dr. Stanley's Bible. Something good is happening, because lately, I have invested more in Christian books than in a pair of shoes lol. I went back and started the 6-month Bible reading program again from the beginning! I feel like I am actually learnin a lot this time. For the first time, I understood that God asked Abraham to give Issaac as he became an idol to Abraham! I asked my pastor if my interpretation was along those lines, and he too agreed. Then, again, in Genesis 35:2, it appears that God wants our "exclusive" allegiance to him and not him or someone else. It goes back to showing that there is only room in the throne of my heart for only one person: God or I, but not both. It serves as another reminder that God wants allegiance to him alone and will not accept my loyalty to anyone else--- hint hint... He is a jealous God. I cannot serve two Gods at the same time... So, in my conversation with God, I gave up my dreams of raising a family as I really longed for that but I do not want to make that dream become my "idol. It gave me a new hope since Sarah became a mother at a very old age, maybe I too could get that chance... It is fascinating to read what took placed during that period of time.

I am thankful that His Word is making sense to me in a different and much profound way.

May your week be filled with good health and safety,
Sweetbasil

Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Traveler » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:27 am

Nice to see you're back sweetbasil. Remember, family isn't necessarily about blood. Plenty of kids out there that could use your help. Not necessarily your money, but your time and gentle (sometimes not so gentle) guidance. Even a home, when you're ready to provide that.

I wouldn't be preaching about eventually sharing your home if we hadn't done it ourselves. I'd be lying if I said it was easy, but you can make a huge difference.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:45 am

Traveler wrote:Nice to see you're back sweetbasil. Remember, family isn't necessarily about blood. Plenty of kids out there that could use your help. Not necessarily your money, but your time and gentle (sometimes not so gentle) guidance. Even a home, when you're ready to provide that.

I wouldn't be preaching about eventually sharing your home if we hadn't done it ourselves. I'd be lying if I said it was easy, but you

can make a huge difference.

Wonderful advice!

We have those we took in.....that have continued to be as close as family, maybe even closer. They didn't all live with us, but spent a lot of time with us. They say that we helped them but actually they enriched our lives and continue to do so.
Two of them are in their 50's and have stayed in close contact all these years. One was 14 and one was 18, so lots of good water under the bridge.

Give it time, sweetbasil. Good things will come to you. (as you already know.) :D
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sweetbasil » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:15 pm

Traveler wrote:Nice to see you're back sweetbasil. Remember, family isn't necessarily about blood. Plenty of kids out there that could use your help. Not necessarily your money, but your time and gentle (sometimes not so gentle) guidance. Even a home, when you're ready to provide that.

I wouldn't be preaching about eventually sharing your home if we hadn't done it ourselves. I'd be lying if I said it was easy, but you can make a huge difference.

Hello Traveler!

Thank you! Yes, you make a very good point. I though about adopting a child one day after learning about Foster Care in college. I will pray about it and let God open the door to that path if it is part of his will. I think that it would be a privilege to at least give a kid some stability via Foster Care or adoption.

Thank you for the words of wisdom!

Have a blessed day,
Sweetbasil

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sweetbasil » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:15 pm

Faster horses wrote:

I wouldn't be preaching about eventually sharing your home if we hadn't done it ourselves. I'd be lying if I said it was easy, but you

can make a huge difference.

Wonderful advice!

We have those we took in.....that have continued to be as close as family, maybe even closer. They didn't all live with us, but spent a lot of time with us. They say that we helped them but actually they enriched our lives and continue to do so.
Two of them are in their 50's and have stayed in close contact all these years. One was 14 and one was 18, so lots of good water under the bridge.

Give it time, sweetbasil. Good things will come to you. (as you already know.) :D

:agree: :nod:

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sweetbasil » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:16 pm

Hello Everyone,

Today's reading was all about the life of Joseph in the Old Testament. It was a remarkable reading and definitely left me with a lot to ponder. Joseph could have betrayed his master by accepting the offer to sleep with his wife, but it appears that he knew that any sin that one commits is really an offense against God .His story is a reminder that every time we are serving the Lord, we will get tested. Joseph's trials shows that he became more dependent on God which really applies to our lives as well. It is so applicable that his life reminded me that living an obedience to God literally is a very difficult thing, because one is constantly fighting the influence of the flesh and the world, and sort of become an outcast; however, I have to remember that He is a perfect Father and blesses us for our obedience to him in ways that are unspected.
In addition, the scriptures also showed me the value in waiting---- God is not just working in your life while you wait on Him to arrange the circumstances so that His plan for you will fit perfectly in your life, but also is working in the life of others though your trials. I have had the privilege of witnessing this in my life and like God put Joseph on "stand by" mode, he was working the details to humble his brothers to the point that they repented of what they did to Joseph. I loved reading how God transformed Jackcob from a disceitful man who didn't know the God of his father to learning to depend on God and getting on his knees in prayer... He became a man of integrity.
I am am blesssed that God is teaching me about Him and showI got me how He works everything for the good of the person.
May your each of you see, feel, and know God's presence in everthing thpat you do today.
Regards,
Sweerbasil

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:47 am

Changing the subject, but getting back to fishing, up here we have a couple of "Free Fishing weekends"
Usually like Fathers day weekend and one in July. Maybe check into that where you want to fish. Also I think it was MRJ posted that if you go to a private "Fish pond " you might not need a license but there will be a fee. Maybe a good place to start if they have equipment to rent.
Best if you can find a friend that fishes and tag along.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:53 am

BMR is right on. There is a place up by Hill City called "Trout Haven". It costs you to fish, but you do catch fish :D ...I think they have for rent everything you might need. You could check on that.

Reason how I know....my dad let me fish there years ago....until he ran out of cash to pay for more fishing........ :nod:
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:08 am

Or. if you don't get that fishing event fit into the schedule in MN, when you come through here, we can block off a bit of time and go fishing in a family dam. No guarantees on a catch, but just getting there and doing a little casting is fun, too!

My brothers' son, sil and grandkids had a fun afternoon of fishing a few weeks ago and caught several nice bass, too. The ladies opted for a hike along a creek and had a wonderful time, and found a nice agate, too. Just seeing how many nice young trees are coming along well was a thrill for them. It is pretty hard to get and keep wild trees growing to replace old ones dying out in this area. The natural ones along the small, intermittent stream beds are a real treasure, but need some pampering to keep, or in many cases, to get them started. The 'Dirty Thirties' and the overgrazing before and after that, made it pretty hard to recover native and naturalized trees. Mostly Ash, Cottonwood, Elm, Box Elder, Choke Cherry and wild Plum trees in this area, and a few Cedars. Many trees were also pretty over harvested in the pioneer days and up into the '40's when many people got oil or propane stoves for cooking and heating. I think it was at least the mid-50's when my grandparents did that, but still used wood some too, as do quite a few people. We need to use more of it, judging by all the trash wood in and along the creeks on this ranch!

mrj

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sweetbasil » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:00 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:Changing the subject, but getting back to fishing, up here we have a couple of "Free Fishing weekends"
Usually like Fathers day weekend and one in July. Maybe check into that where you want to fish. Also I think it was MRJ posted that if you go to a private "Fish pond " you might not need a license but there will be a fee. Maybe a good place to start if they have equipment to rent.
Best if you can find a friend that fishes and tag along.

That's a great idea, I will start doing some researching around to see if I can find a place like that. Thanks for the tip!

Have a good evening,
Sweetbasil

Return to “Coffee Shop”