• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hey Faster Horses...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Nope. But I heard about it on Sunday. One fella had three horses picked out,
went with $15,000 (to pay for one) and didn't get one bought! They were really high. When we went a couple of years ago, I had never seen that many really broke horses in one spot. Lots of good horse people sell there, so I'm not surprised it turned into a barn burner.

We did go to the 'Summer Spectacular' in Rapid City on Sunday. It wasn't so spectacular tho. Horses went from being passed out, to selling for $12,000. So if anyone wanted a horse, they could have bought one for sure.
There was a nice sorrel mare that they showed in the heeling and she did
everything right, kids could ride her and she was a good age; she only brought $1300!!!! I was surprised they let her go for that, and then later
the auctioneer said something about a mare that had gone through already was a 'no sale'. I hope that was her. Gosh, she was nice.

I don't think the 'Summer Spectacular' was advertised very well as there
weren't a lot of people there. It was tied into the BHSS Winter Horse Sale
somehow but with a different name. They called it 'BHSS Summer
Spectacular Horse Sale.'

There were a lot of smaller horses with small bone there, more cutting bred. Nice, but small. Cowan's had two young horses there and they sold very well, which was expected. They were started real nice, were 3-year olds and brought $7250 and $8750.

The high-selling horse came from Dale Christensen and Shayne Porch, Kadoka, SD. A pretty 5 year old palomino that showed awesome in
everything. A kid rode him and roped on him. They had a working cow horse preview and this palomino would really watch a cow and had a lot
of speed. He was sired by a son of Paddy's Irish Whiskey with Shining Spark on the bottom side. Yep, he was nice, nice, nice. I never feel bad when a
good horse brings good money!

Lots of people got to see that palomino horse at the Matched Bronc ride at Philip last Friday night. He was ridden by Dale who was the announcer.

There was some kidding between him and Shayne (one of the excellent pick-up men there) about the sale and just which one put the good training into that horse.

It's good to hear he sold well, more so since no one in my family was the buyer! Prices for really good ranch horses are pretty scarey for some of us OLDER folks whose spouses USED to be able to train a horse themselves! Ooooops! maybe that should have read: used to have TIME to do it, AND to think they might have enough years of riding left to justify the effort. Unless the cowboy would be so blessed as Soapweeds' dad is, still riding at 90.

mrj

Latest posts