• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Looking for Shaggy cow dog, or Idaho shag.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

MTNick

Reaction score
Im looking for a shaggy cow dog, or Idaho shag pup. Out of working parents. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

I am not familiar with Idaho Shags. Are they similar to Australian Shepherds ?

Yes. Some they are a mix of Boarder Collie and Airedale.
Some are 1/4 boarder collie 1/4 australian shepherd, and 1/2 airedale.

They sound interesting and I'd like to see them work. I can't imagine an airdale getting his head down low enough to heel a cow so they might be more of a heading dog?

Didn't Northern Rancher get one when he was in
the US for one of Ty's rodeos?
Seems like it, but I can't remember where the dog came from.

I'd like to see them work as well. I know years back some friends had
a good bearded dog........and I was never sure what it was.......

Let us know if you find one, MtNick. And post some pictures, please.

Im still trying to find one. I did post a pic of one a buddy had but I cannot find a way to attach it to our conversation. She is in the photo gallery under horses and dogs, I titled it shaggy cow dog.

This dog was very gritty. For the most part she was a get behind dog some times she would go to the head but very rarely, maybe she had more collie than airedale, shoot maybe no airedale at all but that is what was told. Take a look at the pic and tell me what you think.
Thanks.

I did a google search and found this:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&sid=72770&ad=29176645

it looks current. If that isn't what you want, they might know of
more Idaho Shag dogs. Hope this helps!

Waiting to hear back from the folks that know about different cow dogs.

I made a phone call there all gone, dang, but there trying to put me in touch with someone who does have some.
Thanks.

MTNick said:
I made a phone call there all gone, dang, but there trying to put me in touch with someone who does have some.
Thanks.

There was some St Bernards on there. :D

Why not get one, breed it to a BC and start your own breed? :lol: :lol:

Something that can herd cattle, pull the feed wagon and eat at the feed bunk with the cows. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big Muddy rancher said:
MTNick said:
Thanks.

There was some St Bernards on there. :D

Why not get one, breed it to a BC and start your own breed? :lol: :lol:

Something that can herd cattle, pull the feed wagon and eat at the feed bunk with the cows. :lol: :lol: :lol:

more importantly,bring you a jug of rum when you get stuck in a snowbank :lol:

Go to ksl.com then to the stock dog section there is one on there from Id that is six months old I put the link on here but that is way out of my league good luck

Johnny Ringo said:
MtNick I know of a guy that is gonna have a batch of shag cross pups here in a week or two

So tell me, do they have Airedale in them? We lost our dog a couple of weeks ago :( and I kind of want an Airedale or Airedale cross. We can't have a busy dog, we need a calm one, but one that would sound an alarm if anyone drove in.

I'm sorry to hear that. And yes everything I've heard about how the shag breed was started was mixing cowdogs with the airedale. on ksl just a few weeks ago there was a batch of heeler airedale pups in eagle mountain Utah. I also know a guy where I live that has a shag dog who's mom was a full shag and dad was a half heeler half airedale, he say's he's a very good dog

Johnny Ringo said:
I'm sorry to hear that. And yes everything I've heard about how the shag breed was started was mixing cowdogs with the airedale. on ksl just a few weeks ago there was a batch of heeler airedale pups in eagle mountain Utah. I also know a guy where I live that has a shag dog who's mom was a full shag and dad was a half heeler half airedale, he say's he's a very good dog

Could you give me a contact number? And thank you in advance.

I looked on ksl.com and found an ad for a female shag pup. I will give them a call. That's an interesting classified section. Thanks.

Latest posts