• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Broken Bow Nebraska

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PPRM

Reaction score
Seems like a trip is in order some day....

I've found a number of ties to broken bow. it started on a different Internet Forum and I became really good Cyber Friends with a guy from Broken Bow. Next thing I know, I have another friend I do a lot of business with going hunting in Broken Bow. His wife is from there.

Anytime i heard a Nebraska reference, I started asking things like, "You near Broken Bow?". It's amazing the percent who respond with some connection.

I'm doing a dealer training right now. One of the dealers turns out is 20 miles from there. Heck, I thought Eastern OR was small and connected. I just smile at the Broken Bow connections.

"Everyone is from there but nobody lives there" is very true of Midland, SD, too. It was seen as having great potential for a trading post back in the 1880's by a young trader checking out the trail from Ft. Pierre to the Black Hills (gold rush era, but still 'Indian Territory'). There were trails linking several Indian Reservations to the south, south east, and south west, with those to the north and northwest, as well as the 'white man' trails between Ft. Pierre and the Black Hills. It followed the Bad River (originally, the Teton River) from just east of the Cheyenne River crossing at present day Wasta, to the town of Ft. Pierre, on the Missouri River. According to local history books, there was a lot of traffic even back then, on those trails, and quite a few ranches had been established, usually of mixed marriages as it was necessary to have Native blood to own or control tracts of land in the area at the time. It was the 'beginning of the end' of the open range days, as the Reservations were being fenced, and the large absentee owner cattle herds were beginning to be moved off the ranges of the Reservations, or contained within them with leases to pay for use of the land, something not deemed necessary previously.

A major drawing card for a community at the location was the availability of water. While Bad River wasn't reliable as a source of water, there were at least three creeks emptying into the river within a mile or two of the town site. That created adequate water holes for basic needs of the day. And the water and the wood along the river were absolutely necessary for the railroad which was coming through the area to link Ft. Pierre to the Black Hills. It came to Midland in 1906.

So,the young man built his store, and the rest is history. The town of Midland thrived with the 'traffic of the day', later with Homesteading beginning in 1906, there were more people moving into the area shortly after early day ranches were established with the exodus of the larger herds of cattle. All this activity creating a bustling frontier town, maybe more civilized than some, and many of the young homesteaders were young women who were sure they could carry on their business careers (banking to seamstresses and more), 'prove up' their homesteads, sell them for a handsome profit, and live the good life in the emerging new state.

Some were disappointed, and some were successful, often the difference was in attitude to circumstances of the times. Many descendants of these pioneers remain in the area. There were times, with advances in 'civilization' of the frontier such as building of hiways through the area, establishing businesses, schools, etc. that the population grew to over 400 people at times. Sadly, the area couldn't support that population, and it is currently around 100. Still have basic businesses, grade school, and several churches, and is only about 35 to 40 miles to three 'county seat' towns. Only the towns which got to be seat of county government, with the businesses that generates have survived. Only one of those three towns has a hospital, and that adds so much to the area, otherwise Pierre (60 miles) or Rapid City (120 miles) would be the nearest medical facilities.

With area farms and ranches to anchor the community, the large populations over years past, LOTS of people were/are 'from Midland'........and many love to come back for community celebrations. The 125th anniversary of the town was celebrated last June, with alll school class reunions, parade, games and visiting for a couple of days bringing many people from long distances. There were over 500 at just one of the meals, and more came and went during the whole celebration. There is an annual 'Merchants Appreciation Day every fall which also brings many 'home' for a day or more from distant places. Most still feel 'at home' when they are here. Small town life can be pretty good. And Midland, SD is way beyond 'small' as towns go, but the community spirit is alive and well, with a pretty good business district including two restaurants, a great little hardware store, several 'fix it' shops for vehicles and machinery, fuel station, post office, two beauty shops, historic Stroppel Hotel with hot mineral baths, and a beautiful city park, a full city block of fun fixtures, picnic tables, shelter, rest rooms, comfortable seating. and lots of nice shade trees.

So.....Midland is another of those places that lots of people are 'from'.

Oh, my sister and her family lived in Broken Bow for a few years about 40 years ago and enjoyed the time there. We drive through it occasionally and it looks like a nice little town.

mrj

Latest posts