• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Saving time??????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mrj

Reaction score
Time to wrangle horses before going to vaccinate some calves. Gate to the yard is open, but they will go right to the barn for their oats. A nice brisk morning, horses feeling frisky. Run south to the water tank, notice the open gate, and it's off to the opening! Old cowboy in pickup pulling horse trailer hurries to cut them off before they get to the gate. Slight miscalculation! Nice, BIG gate post broken off when fender of trailer hit it, and steel gate tipped over maybe bent a bit. BUT, the horses didn't get into the yard!

Moral: the quicker option isn't always. And, it was probably best that it was the 'older cowboy' who broke the gate.

The cattle guard beside the steel gates has needed some repairs and cleaning out for some time. Maybe the gates needing repair will speed those repairs! Anyway, that is my hope.

mrj

Just another example of,,, If anything can go wrong, it will at the most inconvenient time.

I will say it was one of the least anger producing little 'wrecks' on the place! The guys didn't have time, needing to get down the road, but a couple of 'us girls' had a good chuckle over it. Long as no one and the horses were not hurt, and little damage, quickly repaired to the trailer so the tire wouldn't scrape the fender as they went about their mission of the day, it was tolerable. And a refresher course in 'how not to do it' into the bargain. Not a bad day, after all.

mrj

Peach and I were in Rapid City yesterday, and had opportunity to check out the Prairie Edge gift shop and book store. I ended up purchasing a nifty old used book entitled PIONEERS OF THE OPEN RANGE. There is no copyright date on this book, but the opening page reads: "Pioneers of the Open Range, Haakon County, South Dakota, Settlers before January 1, 1906, This book published by the Pioneer Club of Western South Dakota, Midland, South Dakota."

mrj, there are some very interesting stories contributed by some of your family members. I read many of these aloud to Peach on the trip home, and we were both quite enthralled by the tales of adventure and hardship that the early pioneers experienced in settling the great ranching area of South Dakota.

There are quite a few such books of this area, and I think we have all of them. Your comments make me want to dig that one out and read it again while I'm still wearing a cast and not able to have much active fun at the present.

The Pioneer Club still struggles along. It has combined with other such groups in the area. Originally, several counties were all together as Stanley county and the people in the west end of that which ended up as Haakon, Jackson, Jones, and the current smaller Stanley Counties started the pioneer club, if I remember correctly. There was considerable pride over being descended from the earliest settlers, as opposed to being homesteaders who came in 1905 or so, which made it difficult to combine the various 'early citizens clubs' into an organization with enough people to keep it going. Our annual meeting is coming up the last Sunday of Oct. and we have gotten some new, younger members on our museum board who have been doing lots of work refurbishing it this summer and fall. They were also able to recruit a couple of people willing to open it when someone wants to look around the buildings. We have nearly a full block on mainstreet with the old rail road depot as the centerpiece and several other buildings. We were not able to save the original old rock bank building, and it fell over a couple of years ago, but have quite a little memorabilia from it. It is surprising that quite a few people passing through the area, with no connection, find it interesting. And some intentionally come to look up where their ancestors homesteaded, etc.

Both Shorty and I had pioneering grandparents who were here early. My grandpa Calhoon came with his parents from Marysville, KS when his dad decided there wasn't enough room there for his family of about a dozen, mostly sons, so they trekked to Blunt, SD and farmed till wanderlust and time took their toll, and only about four of them remained scattered across SD. Shorty's grandpa Berry also came from NE (have you seen the Berry Bridge east of Valentine, on the Niobrara, I believe?) I think that was the area his parents lived. His grandpa Jones id the opposite of many in those times, moving from west to east. Lewiston/Clarkson area was his home, and he trailed horses from there selling to anyone wanting horses, including at Ft. Robinson, and east to Ft. St. Paul before 1890, staying here in 1892 when the horse market plummeted for a while. He was searching for a place that looked good fro raising cattle all the while, and liked this best of the areas he saw. Probably the fact that land was available here was a good drawing card, but so was the water situation, with the creeks having good 'water holes' through the winter, and even in the dry summers. The quality was pretty dismal, but humans and cattle learned to adapt when they didn't have rain water available. I don't know how early it began, but they deep holes in the ground, usually about four to five feet across, and plastered the bottom and sides, to catch rain water off the roofs. We have one here which is still functional, although we haven't used it in several years. I suspect vines have breached the plaster and that it leaks badly. I hope to replace it with a 'plastic' one of these days. I do like the rain water, and think it prudent to have an alternate to the rural water system.

mrj

Latest posts