• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Jody's Orange Spice Cake

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
Jody's Orange Spice Cake

Jody's Orange Spice Cake
Preheat oven to 325*. Line bottom of 2 spring form pans with parchment and grease and flour. Cream together
1 cup Butter
1 1/2 cups Sugar
1/2 cup Molasses
3 Eggs
Zest one orange then peal and grind and add to the mixture.
8 oz can Crushed Pineapple drained
11 oz can Mandarin Oranges not drained
In a bowl mix
3 cups flour ( part cake flour )
1 tsp Soda
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Cloves
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1/8 tsp Allspice
Add to the creamed mixture. Next stir in by hand
1 cup chopped Nuts ( Pecans )
1 cup Raisins
1 cup Coconut
Bake for 40 - 45 minutes. After cooled frost.
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
1 package Cream Cheese
1/2 cube Butter
1/3 can Orange Juice concentrate
2 lbs bag Powdered Sugar

Jody, in rancher terms, a spring form pan is one with a circular sideboard which you attach to the round deck, securing it with a type of spring clip which is attached permanently to the sideboard. THEN, you proceed with the greasing and putting in the parchment and grease and flour it.

It works better than the usual round cake pans because it is taller and fits a larger recipe better; and you remove the form without mutilating the cake! That is a bonus for people particular about how the cake looks, as well as how it tastes, imo. It is also great for making cheese cake, but some of us with larger families resort to a 9x13" pan for that.

BTW, you can make cake flour by sifting all purpose flour, measuring on level cup full, then taking out two tablespoons full, and replacing it with two level tablespoons of cornstarch.

Happy Baking!

mrj

FH, thanks for catching my error. I will blame it on the past four evenings of Christmas Parties and various other entertainments! I've never been much of a night person and now 8PM seems very late. Yesterday afternoon we went to the Nutcracker performance in Rapid City. One of our grand daughters was in it, so even her grandpa's watched the ballet. Then we all went out to supper before coming home. And I think the rodeo had barely begun by the time we were home. I was too worn out to watch it, knowing morning would come fairly early with a few cows to ship to the sale barn so they could be preg checked today, before selling tomorrow. And I've still got 'jet lag' brain after all the fun.....and this week we plan to go to Cattlemens' annual meetings, to Rapid City for an Ice Show (kids figure skating) and to Spearfish for a grand girl's college graduation Saturday morning. Guess it's a true blessing that Christmas comes whether I'm ready or not! And another blessing is this beautiful weather. I think it was into the high 40's or 50 some today, a bit cloudy now, but forecast is good till at least Friday when we may get a sprinkle or two. Every beautiful 'fall' day is just one less day of winter, since we often get pretty severe wintery weather even pretty early in fall. That terrible Atlas blizzard is only a couple of years in the past, after all.

mrj

Anyway, that cake does look like a good one. Maybe I'll get to it soon and wrap it like a fruitcake in some suitable 'spirits' for a while. Most of the family will be here at one time or another during Christmas to New Years', with exception of at least two grand girls who have work schedules that won't allow two days of driving here and back at this time.

Latest posts