• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Mustang Pictures___________

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mustang

Reaction score
The last time out the mud was six inched deep and it was so foggy that we couldn't see a hundred yards. Today it's so dry we could drive anywhere we wanted. We found what is left of the main band, about sixty head. A lot have split off and gone their separate ways. i heard there was a new paint baby, but it wasn't with the ones we found.

New colt in the band, with mom and dad.

Friendly Fred is still hanging around. Like the others, he's not packing any extra weight.

Gracie, Fred's younger sister, having a little lunch.

#4 sparing around with one of his friends.

Ol Trouble isn't causing problems today. Maybe he is getting too old to fight all the time.

I heard that Gypsy ran off with a younger man. She took Peanut with her. I was shocked she had so little loyalty. The others in her family are still with main band.

Gypsy is showing her age. They were about a half mile away from the main band.

Fred is looking pretty good considering what little feed there is on the desert.

I was disappointed to see Peanut sucking up to his new dad. (joke)

Gypsy looks tough. In all the pictures you have posted through the years, the mustangs look the worse for wear in these.
Sad to see, but bound to happen at times, I suppose.

Magnificent picture with the mountains in the background. The baby colt is really cute--with great markings.

Thanks for sharing.

Got to agree with Faster today, horses look a little rough but the scenery is great.
Seems like the young and the old suffer the most on a tough winter or when pickings are short.

BLM Mis-management, some self inflicted and some forced upon them by lawsuits from radical environmental groups, is the reason the horses look thin. Simply too many horses for the resource. And the state of Utah shares some of the blame. Recently, the Utah Division of Wildlife flew an area called Indian Peaks in southwest Utah to count the elk. According to official state numbers they counted over 1100 elk in an area that has the capacity for 975. They also counted 1760 head of horses in an area deemed by the BLM to be able to handle 650! If you or I turned out almost 3 times the number of cattle we were permitted to run, prison would await us in the very near future. While I love the horses, I despise the mis-management and cruelty they endure. Like any animal, horses need to be managed. Or they and the resource will suffer. If you can read between the lines you may see just a glimpse of the frustration and downright disgust I, and many others, feel toward the federal government agencies tasked with "saving the west"!

Mustang, your pictures are spectacular as always. No offense was meant by my little rant. Mustangs, and those of us who love them, hopefully will always have a home on the desert. :D

leanin' H said:
BLM Mis-management, some self inflicted and some forced upon them by lawsuits from radical environmental groups, is the reason the horses look thin. Simply too many horses for the resource. And the state of Utah shares some of the blame. Recently, the Utah Division of Wildlife flew an area called Indian Peaks in southwest Utah to count the elk. According to official state numbers they counted over 1100 elk in an area that has the capacity for 975. They also counted 1760 head of horses in an area deemed by the BLM to be able to handle 650! If you or I turned out almost 3 times the number of cattle we were permitted to run, prison would await us in the very near future. While I love the horses, I despise the mis-management and cruelty they endure. Like any animal, horses need to be managed. Or they and the resource will suffer. If you can read between the lines you may see just a glimpse of the frustration and downright disgust I, and many others, feel toward the federal government agencies tasked with "saving the west"!

Mustang, your pictures are spectacular as always. No offense was meant by my little rant. Mustangs, and those of us who love them, hopefully will always have a home on the desert. :D

No offence taken, I agree with every word. It's sad politics get in the way of common sense. It's also sad that a bunch of idiots in Washington DC are managing mustangs that they have never seen, and obviously don't care about.

mustang said:
leanin' H said:

No offence taken, I agree with every word. It's sad politics get in the way of common sense. It's also sad that a bunch of idiots in Washington DC are managing mustangs that they have never seen, and obviously don't care about.

"It's also sad that a bunch of idiots in Washington DC are managing PEOPLE that they have never seen, and obviously don't care about."
There. Fixed!

leanin' H said:

Well said! Up here we have similar but different problems with feral horses... right now there isn't a thing to eat out there, and they are so infested with ticks they're nearly transparent. I came across a 2 year old gelding on a logging road while dirt biking.. I kinda scared him, but I stopped 50 feet away and walked up to him nicely, he didn't like the idea of me coming up to him, but moving away was just too much work for him, so I pet him a bit and he warmed up to me.. I swear I could fill a #10 coffee can brimming full with the ticks he had on him... they were as big around as a dime.. I think he kinda wanted to come home with me after that. Nobody owns these horses when they're starved and need food.. if you were to hit one in a vehicle, shoot one to put it out of it's misery, or take it home.. EVERYONE would suddenly own it.

Mustang.. I do enjoy the pictures though :)

Latest posts