• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Finding positions in the ranching world

Help Support Ranchers.net:

j_luken

Reaction score
I am finding it hard to find positions in the ranching world for office/accounting/bookkeeping, especially in Texas. Does anyone know the place online that I am obviously missing for posting a resume of such to the ranching community? My position I have held for a few years will be going to another country other than the US soon so I am starting to look as I do not want to move out of the US, and I have posted and keep looking on Monster, indeed, simply hired, etc, but am not finding anything. Now I unfortunately like most am needing a competitive wage and can not travel overnight. I have found a few sites for regular ranch work, but non for work in the office on a ranch. I know there must be a site out there somewhere that I am missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What about office work at a auction yard?

I'm not from Texas or even the US so not sure other then knocking on doors.
Good Luck and try moving this into "ranch talk"

Where are you posting your ads? I think your position would take a fairly large operation to be able to pay for your services. You might start by finding where the larger outfits are and asking if they know of anyone looking for the services you provide.

Best of luck!

Big Muddy rancher said:
What about office work at a auction yard?

I'm not from Texas or even the US so not sure other then knocking on doors.
Good Luck and try moving this into "ranch talk"

Get a chance to talk to the auction yard owners and see if they know of anyone large enough to use your services... I am almost thinking you might need to hang your wn shingle out and do services for a number of operations.

Instead of limiting yourself to a large operation, are there services you could provide several smaller producers who can't justify a full-time office staff? I couldn't justify a full-timer but I have been seriously considering outsourcing some office work on a project-by-project basis.

Thanks everyone for the input. I had just been posting on the sites like Monster indeed, simply hired, etc. I had not thought about doing it for a number of operations, just because I hadn't done that before, and wanted to be sure to have a full time income , but that is a thought. My ultimate desired position in the end of course would be wanting to work for a large ranch in the office that I guess I could kind of become a part of, but until I find that I may have to do some of the things you all listed. Again thanks for the input.

LCP, if you don't mind me asking, since I have never thought about it before, what would be some of the things that a rancher might consider outsourcing for an individual to handle? I am not trying to pry, you just have my curiosity now. Thanks

j_luken said:
LCP, if you don't mind me asking, since I have never thought about it before, what would be some of the things that a rancher might consider outsourcing for an individual to handle? I am not trying to pry, you just have my curiosity now. Thanks

Entering calving records in Excel (or other record keeping software), analyzing records to identify poor cows, submitting data to breed association (I have heard it can be a pain - no experience here), compiling and calculating grazing records on a pasture-by-pasture basis, tracking grazing days per inch of rainfall on a 12-month rolling average...I've always got something I am trying to tease useful information out of, but often lack the time and/or Excel skills to do it. Then there's always the normal bookwork any business has, balancing the checkbook and preparing monthly reports. I do the former, not the latter. Not enough time. Golly you got me started, I'm going to have an offer on the table before I'm done with this post.... :D Actually my summer intern gets to do some of this stuff, and my wife is starting to get back into some office work now that our youngest are a little more self-sufficient. We're getting there.

Another thing I'd tell you to look into is offering some tech help. I stumbled my way into using Google Forms to track cattle movements, doctoring, supplement delivery, etc. Nice handy form on my smartphone (actually just a mobile webpage) that puts all the relevant info into a spreadsheet to be analysed later. One of the best tools on my phone. It could easily be used to collect calving records, althoguh I still love my Rite-In-The-Rain waterproof notebook and will never give it up. Anwyay check it out, could help you out somehow.

LCP, thanks for the information. : ) I have an Animal Science degree but unfortunately have lost a lot of the knowledge (at least for now) when I got into working for an accounting department instead of following my degree, so everything to me that you listed sounds pretty interesting, especially the pasture grazing, I have always been an advocate for pasture rotation, no matter how small a size of land a person has, or what type of (grazing) animals, a person can always cross fence and take care of the land. Genetics was also one of my favorites in college. Anyway, thanks for the reply and if you ever decide you need an extra piece handled just let me know. ; )

"My Job Depends on Ag" on FaceBook. It's a closed group but you'll get accepted. It has members everywhere. Great place to let the world know you're available.

Latest posts