• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Final Thoughts on Cherry County Wind, by Steve Moreland December 10, 2016

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Final Thoughts on Cherry County Wind, by Steve Moreland
December 10, 2016

The proponents of Cherry County Wind have continually pointed out that it is their right, as private property owners, to place wind turbines on their land if they so desire. This is a valid point, but other property owners will have their adjoining land diminish in value. Other non-adjoining land owners could very well become victims if NPPD asserts its power of eminent domain to transport the power across country to the eventual consumer.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. For every private property owner who benefits from wind energy, there will be at least that many more whose property rights will be compromised. Why should one property owner reap benefits when another property owner loses benefits? Therefore, Private Property Rights is basically a non-issue when considering Wind Energy for our county.

Cattle have always been King in Cherry County. Hopefully they always will be. There are more mother cows in Cherry County than in any other county in the nation. We have beautiful grasslands, big wide open blue skies, and the scenic and wild Niobrara River running through the entire 96 mile length of the county. Hunting, fishing, canoeing, and tourism are all compatible activities that take place here and add substance and revenue to our local communities. With our big wide open night skies and lack of lights, this area has become a mecca for star-gazers and studiers of astronomy. We already have many highly desirable qualities of life that money cannot buy.

With Private Property Rights being such a double-edged sword in the Cherry County Wind Energy discussion, the real issue becomes: How much do we want to promote Major Industrialization? We have some industry already, mostly agricultural products that benefit the raising of cattle. These are low-key operations that don't interfere with our way of life. Wind Turbines are a completely different matter. Once the door is open they will be here to stay, whether they look new and work, or whether they become merely rusty broken-down eye-sores. They will multiply like prairie dogs. If fact, it is almost like taking a pristine pasture and introducing prairie dogs, in the hope that revenue gleaned from people paying to shoot the prairie dogs will add economic benefit to the pasture.

Cherry County, Nebraska is already as close to being a Utopia as is possible on this earth. There is an old saying, "You are never thirsty 'til the well goes dry." Others are: "Don't fix something that isn't broken." "All is not gold that glitters." "If everyone else jumps off a cliff, would you jump off a cliff, too?" and "Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it."

To the powers that be who will ultimately decide the future of Cherry County, think long and hard about the consequences and long-term effects of your decision. It will be the legacy by which you are remembered.

I am curious about the negative effects of a wind tower on adjoining land. I have one of the largest wind towers in the nation about a mile from me. I have not been following this thread so help me and no I have no desire to have a wind tower. I have seen no ill effects nor have I heard anything from my neighbors. Cattle and horses graze within 100 feet of the tower. Be specific and I am simply curious, thanks.

farmguy said:
I am curious about the negative effects of a wind tower on adjoining land. I have one of the largest wind towers in the nation about a mile from me. I have not been following this thread so help me and no I have no desire to have a wind tower. I have seen no ill effects nor have I heard anything from my neighbors. Cattle and horses graze within 100 feet of the tower. Be specific and I am simply curious, thanks.

https://www.wind-watch.org/news/2013/10/14/wind-turbines-impact-land-values-by-up-to-60-valuer/

So the issue is reduced property values. I do know a little about that. I have a close neighbor across the road who has 7 acres, 2 horses and 100 plus junk cars and other scrap. I own land on 2 sides and a son owns land on the other sides. This eye sore does not enhance our property values. Down the road a mile is another man who has every piece of junk machinery he can lay his hands on, poor fences, again not a plus to our property values. Our township and county have no restrictions on either. I would love to have both sites cleaned up by a zoning ordinance. But do I want someone to tell me how to use my property? So I guess my feeling is that their activities do not create a public nuisance and they should not be restricted. I may not like to look at all that junk but it is their right to use their property as they fit and outside of my viewing pleasure it does no harm. They may not like to hear my cattle noise for a week at weaning and see me drive by with my machinery, work at night, etc. but I use my land as I see fit. According to our county officials activities have to have a public threat or nuisance before zoning can restrict land use. Just my thoughts, farmguy.

Niobrara is one of America's 10 most scenic rivers

Hwy 2 is one of America's 10 most scenic, and U.S. 20 is in the top 100.

Cherry county residents have a long history - conservationists before conservation was cool. Few places in this country do giant generators affront the culture so directly. Property rights are sacred, but giant generators are as out of place in the wild and natural as a feedlot in the hamptons.

I suppose I am going to start a row here but here goes. This reminds me of Ted Kennedy, a very vocal advocate of wind energy. Then when a project was announced for Old Cape Cod his tune changed. Cape Cod was such a special place (where he lived) that while wind energy was still a great idea just not in my back yard. So where do we put the less visually desirable parts of our society? We all seem to like the electricity, cars, roads, factories etc. Everyone one of us can point out something special about our home area. So what is the answer?
"( your county) county residents have a long history - conservationists before conservation was cool. Few places in this country do giant generators affront the culture so directly. Property rights are sacred, but giant generators are as out of place in the wild and natural as a feedlot in the hamptons"

I can understand not wanting wind towers in your area. I wouldn't want them and all the added traffic in my area. However the article about property being unsalable is ludicrous. Property in your area is being bought to raise cattle on not sell pictures to a magazine. Where my wife is from there was a section of grass sold that is pretty close to a wind farm. It brought $2050 an acre and will hold about 80-85 pair for 6.5 months. Most people in the area don't care for the towers but affecting the price of ground it sure is not.

All of the land owners where the wind farm will be located do not live nearby. They are gambling that where their own ranches are is too sandy and unsuitable for the wind turbines. Another land owner who wants towers has recently retired and moved to a distant bigger town. One landowner has had property for many years real close to where one of the towers will be. He is nearing retirement age, and had planned to build his retirement home on this scenic little plot. He probably will not if the wind farm comes about.

The real issue is that if the wind farms come to fruition, the whole image and glamour of Cherry County will fall by the wayside. Another of the pro-wind energy investors has a big outfit deep in the heart of the hills. Every year they brand for several days with style and tradition by using a chuckwagon, camping out, and many extras get to "play cowboy" for a week. I approve and admire what they do, but I'm sure the glamour would plumb go out of this enterprise if wind towers were nearby. Once again, he is "gambling" that the towers will not be placed near their main ranch. It seems like many of the investors desire to "have their cake and eat it, too."

If wind turbines were efficient and could stand on their own two feet (or one foot in this case) as far as being a profitable enterprise, it would be different. They are highly subsidized, and anyone acquiring revenue from them is in essence only farming the government. As a somewhat hard-working American taxpayer, desiring to get the most bang for my tax buck, I resent this.

Soapweed said:
If wind turbines were efficient and could stand on their own two feet (or one foot in this case) as far as being a profitable enterprise, it would be different. They are highly subsidized, and anyone acquiring revenue from them is in essence only farming the government. As a somewhat hard-working American taxpayer, desiring to get the most bang for my tax buck, I resent this.

I agree with you on this. I dang sure wouldn't want them either but at a land sale it only takes two guys. Unless all the ground sold around there is going to investors and not cattlemen the value I say isn't going to change any. One thing I wonder and never found an answer is what happens to these if they are no longer profitable? They would surely need to be maintained to keep a light going on the top???????

Soapweed said:

Amen to that :agree: Warren Buffet is quoted as saying that they would not be worth it with out the tax credits.. He only made 10 B as in Billion last year off the tax credits. :mad:

Another little info on one of the biggest pushers and investor, built his house on a lake on a 100 year lease and just take a guess who owns that ground. This is the one referenced too above who leased out his ranch and moved far away to a larger town. Any guesses NPPD! Wonder if he will be a board member anytime soon, boy that sound just like the DC workmanship doesn't it.

Thanks to LazyWP I had the opportunity to spend a week in the Sandhills. As an outsider, I have to agree with Soapweed that the wind turbines would, without a doubt, destroy the scenic views and solitude that attracted outsiders like me to the Sandhills. It would be a real shame to have that happen in the name of govt subsidized profit. Keep fighting the good fight Soap and I hope that you and your group prevails.

I agree with Zilly. I saw this on the Omaha.com app yesterday, good for Cherry County. As someone who lives in Iowa, those giant eye sores all over the state have done NOTHING to lower my energy bill.

http://www.omaha.com/news/nebraska/sand-hills-wind-farm-proposal-rejected-by-county-board-but/article_a0580738-c64b-11e6-af6b-e3a2cec75049.html

It had crossed my mind if anybody ever shot at them. Apparently so. :cowboy:

https://stopthesethings.com/2015/11/11/angry-neighbours-shoot-up-wind-turbines-as-hosts-hit-with-millions-in-developers-debts/

Latest posts