• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ivermectin Question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Triangle Bar

Reaction score
I'm looking for better lice control on the cows. I usually back pour once and then let the cows use their oiler. The pyrethrin works ok in the oiler but there is always the animals that don't use the it. Is it okay to back pour the cows twice about 2 or 3 weeks apart. That way when the rest of the eggs hatch, they get killed also. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't posted here in quite a while. Time marches on. Hope all is well with your operations.

Thanks, George

It's getting to that time of year where I'd be pretty leery of giving Ivomec. Might be early enough yet in your country though.

You can use something else to pour for lice. They are easy to kill. Try Cylence. It works good. Dr. Don Bliss, Mid America Labs, says the only way to get lice is to pour them twice. I think it is 13 or 14 days apart. If you are using an oiler and they don't all use it, you are wasting your money. You must do them ALL at the same time, or don't let them comingle, at all. Not even in another pen or corral.
Good luck!

Yes, as far as I know and we have done that. As long as you aren't too late with the Ivomec. I assume that by saying 'bots' you are referring to grubs.

You can do Cylence anytime.

I am sure that in order to do the best job, do it again in 14 days.
Good luck.

(I hate lice). :D

Has anyone tried Bayer's Clean Up II? Has IGR in it so supposedly one treatment does the trick. We're trying it this year.

Check that out close, Nicky. I have never heard of it, but that doesn't mean anything. :D What Dr. Bliss talks about is the life cycle of the lice. The biting lice and then the eggs that hatch 14 days later. There have been many false claims oncontrolling lice. Cydectin had a claim that it would last for 6 months. It was a false claim and the government made them strike that. It was a good marketing tool, but untrue. I had a friend that was selling it to ranchers, when the claim was pulled, she lost her job.

IGR is for flies. Didn't know it was for lice as well, but lice are easy to kill. I'm going to check into this, simply because I am curious.

Did an online search as I couldn't reach our veterinarian.

Interesting:
http://feedlotmagazine.com/bayer-launches-new-pour-on-insecticide-for-lice-control/

However, Valley Vet description says nothing about it as a one-time treatment.
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=e18cad5c-2319-404c-8608-ed104c730889

It seems to cost $1/hd which isn't bad if it truly does take only one application. If not, it is pretty spendy. I don't think the IGR has anything to do with lice; if not, using it in winter would be somewhat of a waste if you are paying for fly control. Just my two cents. I'm going to keep trying our vet and see what he has to say.

Very interesting. Glad you brought this up. I enjoy learning new things.

Silver said:
It's getting to that time of year where I'd be pretty leery of giving Ivomec. Might be early enough yet in your country though.

I'm thinking if you used it in the fall, not near as worrisome to do it again. Been meaning to ask the vet....

It say's one time control or lice and eggs
"Lice spread by contact between infested animals. Lice lay eggs that hatch after seven days, then have a 2-3 week lifespan, with females laying 30-40 eggs in that time. To control lice, existing adults and nymphs on the animal as well as the eggs must be killed.

Clean-Up II requires only one application to kill adults, nymphs, and eggs (nits). It can be used directly on the animal on lactating and non-lactating dairy cattle, beef cattle, calves and mature horses. It also has a zero-day pre-slaughter interval and milk discard time."

littlejoe said:
Silver said:

I'm thinking if you used it in the fall, not near as worrisome to do it again. Been meaning to ask the vet....

Most of the time, producers treat one time and get by. Not many want to run the cows through the chute a second time. Cold weather helps lice propagate, as most of us know. Yes, we get by, but sometimes cattle break with lice later on when only treated once.

We used Epernix one time. Cattle broke with lice. Vet didn't believe it so he came and scraped some and sent it in. Yep, lice. :?
Eperinex had a lice claim so they sent us more product to re-treat them. What they sent was Ivomec. :???:

Outside of this Bayer product under discussion here now (I'm still waiting to find out the skinny on that) the only way to really kill lice is TO POUR THEM TWICE.

Latest posts