Ranchers.net Bull Session

feeding

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Re: feeding

Postby Faster horses » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:41 pm

Silver wrote:This fall I was quite confident calling a yearling open at preg testing time. Much to my surprise she was announced bred by the vet. I had never seen a freemartin come in bred before.

Me either. But given enough time and circumstance, cattle will make fools out of anyone.

I was helping sort cattle one day; we had the cows separated from the calves and everyone was in the barn getting things ready, but me. I decided to try to sort the steers from the heifers while we were waiting. I put a few in the alley and went down to the gates. As the dog brought the calves to me very slowly for me to sort, I noticed something. The heifer calves wanted to go around a gate and into a pen while the steer calves preferred to go straight through a gate and down the alley. So I started working them like that. By the time they were done setting up in the barn and came outside, I had the calves all sorted. (Or the calves had themselves all sorted depending on how you look at it :D ). They were as surprised as I was that the sorting was all done. You know usually, there are people on the gates putting calves one way or another, never noticing how the calves wanted to work. That day it was just me and I learned that it is male and female of every species that want to do things differently. :D

Anyway, it was a fun day for me. One I never got to repeat.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Return to “Ranch Talk”