Ranchers.net Bull Session

Thinking of serving Prime Rib for the Holidays?

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Thinking of serving Prime Rib for the Holidays?

Postby PPRM » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:15 am

Big Muddy rancher wrote:I use a Traeger and cooked a brisket and a Elk roast for our belated Xmas dinner. Also did a turkey on it Xmas day. The brisket was trimmed at the butcher and wasn't quite the way I liked but tasted great. The Elk was very tender,very dark and was cooked to temp.

I personally Love meat from a Traeger. My Wife doesn't like the amount of smoky flavor and enjoys less subtle. As I have cooked for larger audiences, I have found cutting back on the smoke flavor a little appeals to more people. At least where I live.
The difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

PPRM

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:27 am

"
My thought on your dry roast is it could be two additional things besides fat. One, is since it went to Medium, the juices were drying out until it got there. Two, you may not of let it rest long enough after pulling for the juices to resorb. This second thing I learned from a chef when I described my dry roasts. When I used to cut roasts, they would be steaming as I cut into them. Another thing you can do is collect the juices usually used for gravy and ladle over the roast as it rests. Hmmmmm.... I also never considered using a Slow Cooker to finish a Rib Roast...."

I didn't use a slow cooker at all, sorry if you got that from what I posted. I cooked it to 145, took it out and heated the broiler to do a reverse sear, which worked fine, but of course, it heated the meat some more. I didn't have much juice to work with period. Not much was in the bottom of the pan and not much came out when I cut it. I felt committed to what I started with (the article I posted except screwing up the temperature) so I didn't let it rest either. He said that was another 'old wives tale.' Everyone said it was really good, the flavor was good, but Mr. FH and I knew it was too done. Medium is too done for our liking, but not everyone is that particular. Anyway, it's all gone........thanks for the tips. I will be sure and use them in the future.

We have no smoker but am considering one.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby PPRM » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:17 pm

Faster horses wrote:"
My thought on your dry roast is it could be two additional things besides fat. One, is since it went to Medium, the juices were drying out until it got there. Two, you may not of let it rest long enough after pulling for the juices to resorb. This second thing I learned from a chef when I described my dry roasts. When I used to cut roasts, they would be steaming as I cut into them. Another thing you can do is collect the juices usually used for gravy and ladle over the roast as it rests. Hmmmmm.... I also never considered using a Slow Cooker to finish a Rib Roast...."

I didn't use a slow cooker at all, sorry if you got that from what I posted. I cooked it to 145, took it out and heated the broiler to do a reverse sear, which worked fine, but of course, it heated the meat some more. I didn't have much juice to work with period. Not much was in the bottom of the pan and not much came out when I cut it. I felt committed to what I started with (the article I posted except screwing up the temperature) so I didn't let it rest either. He said that was another 'old wives tale.' Everyone said it was really good, the flavor was good, but Mr. FH and I knew it was too done. Medium is too done for our liking, but not everyone is that particular. Anyway, it's all gone........thanks for the tips. I will be sure and use them in the future.

Well, certainly the first loss of juices is high heating to 145 degrees. I'm fine with being an "old wife" when it comes to resting the roasts. That certainly made a huge difference in mine, so they can call me whatever they like. My mouth will be full of great meat and I won't care to respond, LOL...... My best advice ~ Keep on doing the same cut and adjust it. I still learn things. The downside is everyone raves about my cooking and I am sitting there contemplating the few changes I'll make next time. But, I do eat we'll while contemplating ;-}
The difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

PPRM

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:18 am

PPRM wrote:
Faster horses wrote:"

Well, certainly the first loss of juices is high heating to 145 degrees. I'm fine with being an "old wife" when it comes to resting the roasts. That certainly made a huge difference in mine, so they can call me whatever they like. My mouth will be full of great meat and I won't care to respond, LOL...... My best advice ~ Keep on doing the same cut and adjust it. I still learn things. The downside is everyone raves about my cooking and I am sitting there contemplating the few changes I'll make next time. But, I do eat we'll while contemplating ;-}

But....I didn't use high heat. The only high heat was the reverse sear. Anyway, thanks. We eat good too. Maybe....a little too good! :D No, actually, we REALLY do eat too good. :nod: It's visible. :?
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

LazyWP
Rancher
Rancher

Postby LazyWP » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:16 pm

This is how Lisa likes to make ours..

Return to “Coffee Shop”