• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Anybody use a Mac?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Traveler

Reaction score
My wife got us a new one. I'm back to using Windows. Didn't do well with links and images, and didn't care for the wireless keyboard and mouse. Probably gave up too quickly, but wasn't feeling anything positive for it. Anybody love their Mac, I'd like to hear about it.

I have several friends who LOVE their Mac.......but I was advised against getting one......too different and harder to learn how to
use it. There are things about them I think I would like. but I don't even have a smart phone. :?

The newspaper I worked at, all the computers there were Macs. The ladies loved them and very seldom had a problem with them.
And of course, they don't have virus issues.

I finally switched last year. Love mine. I switched after 3 failures of "Top Brand PC's" within 2 months. I couldn't afford to spend all of my time with customer support.

My Mac runs windows... I think one turning point for me was when a supervisor from Microsoft called me to ask me about a software product I bought and had called customer support. This was a followup to see what my experience was like. I told him I was likely buying a Mac because of my issues. He said he had one and Loved it. He also said most of the people he worked with had a Mac.

Part of the thing is in the Northwest, I can take it to an Apple store if I ever need. Great customer service at those places. I know there's one or 2 in Portland, Boise, Spokane and Seattle. All are about 3-4 hours and I am in this areas a lot.

My experience with Apple started with my iPhone. I use it and I tell people, "My iPhone is more dependable than your PC."

Another factor may be how much you use it, put on it and what you are trying to do. If you aren't doing much, maybe a PC will work. But, I Love my Macbook Pro.

Mac is the best! I've had my MacBook for 12 years and never had a problem with it. The only thing I've had crash is the microsoft apps Word or Excel. It's starting to get antiquated now and I need an upgrade.

Our new windows computer for the fire dept, crashed the first time I used it. It's a real pain.

My wife is doing alright with the Mac, and I'm happy playing on the internet NOT using it. She also uses an iPhone and tablet.

Getting a little off subject, I carry around a Kyocera Dura flip phone, that you could probably throw at something and not break it. I kind of have a history of destroying cell phones, need one that's easy to carry, and if someones going to fall in water with one it would usually be me. Can often times answer it or make a call without digging for a pair of readers, and I'm in the minority around here that doesn't usually have a scratched or broken screen. I wouldn't trust a phone far enough to download airline tickets on one anyway. When I'm told I need a smart phone, I reply that I probably get along a lot better with a "dumb" phone. :lol:

Phones are all about what fits you IMO... I need to really have internet and email ability in both my job and selling our Beef. I use the hone a lot to market our Beef. People ask me all of the time how I can do both (Actually, all three if you consider running cows and calves). It would be impossible if I didn't have a smart phone. That being said, not everyone is me trying to manage my challenges. If simple fits you best, buy simple. my iPhone is really a little mobile computer that lets me make phone calls.

One huge irony... When they started putting camera's on phones I was likely the worlds biggest skeptic. i don't know what I'd do without that ability now. A picture is worth more than a thousand words when you are trying to show something.

PPRM said:
Phones are all about what fits you IMO... I need to really have internet and email ability in both my job and selling our Beef. I use the hone a lot to market our Beef. People ask me all of the time how I can do both (Actually, all three if you consider running cows and calves). It would be impossible if I didn't have a smart phone. That being said, not everyone is me trying to manage my challenges. If simple fits you best, buy simple. my iPhone is really a little mobile computer that lets me make phone calls.

One huge irony... When they started putting camera's on phones I was likely the worlds biggest skeptic. i don't know what I'd do without that ability now. A picture is worth more than a thousand words when you are trying to show something.

I have been amazed at the quality of the photos phone cameras take.

But I have heard it is important to get rid of the 'flashlight' on those phones as you can be tracked with them.

I even see people using their smart phones to locate groceries that are on special at the grocery store!

Actually, if there's a task that requires a smart phone I get my son to do it, or a valued younger employee. Like to think I'm doing them a favor if I can step back a bit and become a little more obsolete all the time.

I have a desk computer and a laptop. Both are Dell. I have a contract with Dell Concergie so that if anything goes wrong, I just call them and they fix it. I do have to allow them access to my computer, however, and the technicians can be a little hard to understand. Anyway, I've been more than happy with their service. They are available 24/7. With them I have System Mechanic Pro as a virus protection. That's worked well, too.

Latest posts