• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Yak Traks

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PPRM

Reaction score
We sometimes get pretty bad Ice Storms and freezing rain here. A few years ago, I came across some "Chains for shoes" called Yak Traks. This morning was the first occasion I have had to use them. i slipped them over my muck boots as I went out to water. Pretty good and certainly worth preventing a fall.

Be safe everyone!

They are awesome, have used them for years. Can be tricky on tractor steps tho. Right now we need snowshoes instead of chains.

Are there two styles? Imperfect recall says I've seen or heard of a type that has a sharp, pointy tread, and another that has a coil type without the 'sharp shod' effect, so as to give some traction, but not ruin indoor floors (as in a business, or home, with me assuming that means no mud on the shoe!). I think someone on this ranch has some 'sharpies'. For me, something easy to slip on and off would be a good thing. And, they shouldn't 'ball up' when snow gets soft like today with our 40+% temp.

mrj

mrj said:
Are there two styles? Imperfect recall says I've seen or heard of a type that has a sharp, pointy tread, and another that has a coil type without the 'sharp shod' effect, so as to give some traction, but not ruin indoor floors (as in a business, or home, with me assuming that means no mud on the shoe!). I think someone on this ranch has some 'sharpies'. For me, something easy to slip on and off would be a good thing. And, they shouldn't 'ball up' when snow gets soft like today with our 40+% temp.

mrj

If you go to the website, it appears more than 2 styles. Yes, slip on and off easily. I have the milder coil style. My many years of marriage has me hesitant to risk floor damage though ;-}

PPRM said:
mrj said:

mrj

If you go to the website, it appears more than 2 styles. Yes, slip on and off easily. I have the milder coil style. My many years of marriage has me hesitant to risk floor damage though ;-}

Oh I see, it's not just slipping on ice that results in concussion? ;-)

There are several companies that make something similar to slip over your boots. Browse the ice-fishing section at the sports store and they can be found. Here in the Midwest they usually order only one time for ice-fishing equipment, so they should be purchased early.

Work wear and safety shops generally have large selections of them.

Latest posts