• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Barbed wire

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I've probably still got a couple of miles or rolled up ex railroad fence wire.

About a hundred yrs old and better than any new I've seen. Kinda a bronze sheen on it.

Anyhow, gates:
I use this for gates. I Never use any kind of new wire on gates---wants to curl up. And the last three feet or so, on top wire, loop end, I use barbless. Saves on shirtsleeves and owies.

Taking down RR fence, there's 3 screw on stays between every two posts---easiest way to get them off is 14" bolt cutters, you just need to cut one side. 20 bucks a set, I've made thousands of cuts with first pair and still as good as new. These are a MUST HAVE in fencing tools for me anymore! And if you ever get in a grass fire where you're cutting every corner you come too and getting outa the way---you'll send me a bottle for Christmas if you've bought a pair.

I helped tear down an old rail road fence
it had 3 strings of barb on top
the bottom was woven wire
really thick woven wire
they had it hanging on cedar posts
the woven wire is in use today
probably a 100 yrs old

We use the Gaucho on long life fences. It's never rusts, the barbs are always sharp, and doesn't stretch as bad over time. Red Brand is the worst.

Latest posts