• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Motrin..... NSAIDs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Traveler

Reaction score
31, and up to 51% increase in chance of cardiac arrest, and some bad side effects.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/03/16/study-links-ibuprofen-to-heart-problems.html

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/fda-strengthens-warning-that-nsaids-increase-heart-attack-and-stroke-risk-201507138138

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/ibuprofen-oral-route/side-effects/DRG-20070602

Not surprised. Too much of this kind of stuff available over the counter and way too little research. But if the pharmaceuticals did the research we couldn't afford to buy it. Catch 22. Wife takes OTC drugs like popcorn. Her reasoning is that if its available OTC it must be safe.

interesting note...

Aspirin is also an NSAID, but it does not pose a risk of heart attack or stroke and is not covered by this new warning.

all drugs have some drawbacks, a person should always carefully weigh the risk benefits, but the drug (and FDA) overload a person with technical crap few but a pharmacist could read. I get a book printed out with my VA meds and wonder how much the paper and ink cost is. it is no help, and a complete waste. but I am sure some lawyer and bureaucrat thought it fixed the public's ability to be informed of the drugs risks.

so even with stronger warnings,.. few will pay attention. either the print is too small, or too technical to be readily understandable.

I'm thinking we all need to do more study and take more responsibility for our own health. I still trust my docs, but they are SO burdened with regulations and rules they have little real time with patients. Then there are all the materials they are bombarded with from companies selling stuff from meds to instruments and more. Maybe most of those otc meds do some good for many people, and some do get carried away with dosing themselves, so bear some of the 'blame'.

My heart doc at the time, did tell me the stomach ulcers I didn't know I had, which caused enough blood loss to cause a heart attack, were caused by taking too much Aleve, AND that it is one of the worst, if over-consumed, for causing problems. I was 'encouraged' to use the higher doses for the joint and back pains for which I was trying to postpone surgery at the time.

So, having had some surgeries, and still quite a lot of pain, I'm mostly living with it, but am doing some study of and trying herbal and spices as 'meds', as well as Tens machine and various braces. Sure wish the acupuncture and massage people I like were not so far away!

It is old injuries, some arthritis, and not handling stresses of life well that are causing me the most pain. The prescription meds for Arth. scare me more than the pain does, so will keep on with what I'm doing, more or less. I appreciate that things could be worse, and sure enjoy most of life at age 77, and really am not worse off than 40 years ago, but do handle it better now.

mrj

Well, Dang.... Dang.... Daaaannnnggggg, LOL.

I have started into what a lot of people would consider alternative. However, a lot of what I have learned about my body aches really goes to nutrition. I've often wondered what is so alternative about eating well.

I've been working on myself for about 8 years and do feel a lot better. Very basically, a lot of what we eat has inflammatory effects. Cut out sugars and High Fructose Corn Syrup (Soda Pop is one of this nations huge issues). I can tell when I fall of in that my body aches to the point of needing Pain relief.

I've also gotten to where I can tell if I need Chiropractic, Massage or things like DMSO. And, things that really fight Inflamation such as Honey, Dark Tart Cherry Juice, Tumeric and Glucosamine.... But, sometimes I get really stoved up and the Aleve really gets me through.

Regarding doctors, they forever have gotten their only information from drug companies.I was fine with the until Statins.... They really would tear me up. I thought I was just getting really old fast. My wife had looked up the side effects. I went off of them (Doctors had me keep switching to see if we could find one that wouldn't tear me up). I would gradually feel a lot better.

I came to the point that I told the doctor, "In my family, if you don't smoke or don't become a drunk, you live to be in your 90's". I basically said, "Genetics ar eon my side. And, If I am wrong I'd rather live 1 year feeling good than another 45 hurting like these drugs make me."

Cowpuncher said:
DMSO ?

last guy I knew that used DMSO died from pancreatic cancer
after using it for a couple of months. Is it recommed for human usage?

CP

The last guy I knew that died used to drive a car. Not really cause and effect. I've known people that have used it for years. Since this post, it hasn't been as effective and I am on to other things though. But when I first started, yeah, it really was a noticeable difference.

Latest posts