• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fun day

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
Went to the auction at the new ranch today. New neighbors were happy the place will be a ranch and that we are not developers.Got lots of welcomes to the comunity.Take Tenny, baby and SIL over next week and get them settled in.On way home tonight call heifer with only one leg out...Tenny talked Donny thru on getting the leg up,Rex got kicked but they got a live calf.Sometimes the best teacher is being gone and having trust.

You are right about the calving 'education'. But isn't being able to take the phone to the barn handy? I got a call after the 'oldest cowboy on the ranch' went to the barn this morning suggesting I put breakfast on hold as one of our last two heifers was calving and needed help. Not sure if there was a midnight check or not, but the calf was huge and was not saved.

Isn't it pretty exciting to be making progress in your move? Are you making much of a change in altitude? In my imagination, it seems you surely would be, but really have no idea of the difference between nw WY and ne WY, tho my imagination tells me it is much higher 'out west'. I should know, as we went through the area from Riverton WY to Dillon, MT enroute to Lewiston/Clarkson area a few years ago. But all I could focus on was not losing my mind due to fear of heights! Will the cows be affected? Are sheep affected by altitude differences? I've had no experience with either, but have read that cows can be harmed by high altitudes when moving from low A. But have no understanding of how that works or how serious it is.

Most of our crew is working today (we try to take Sunday off, more or less). We are hauling some cows bred for fall calving to the sale barn for the Tuesday sale. One is going with a friend to look at, maybe buy, some roping stock for the summer practices.

mrj

jodywy said:
Went to the auction at the new ranch today. New neighbors were happy the place will be a ranch and that we are not developers.Got lots of welcomes to the comunity.Take Tenny, baby and SIL over next week and get them settled in.On way home tonight call heifer with only one leg out...Tenny talked Donny thru on getting the leg up,Rex got kicked but they got a live calf.Sometimes the best teacher is being gone and having trust.

What I heard echoed your post, Jody. They are glad to have another rancher move in.
Our daughter was interested in the 1986 flatbed trailer, but she couldn't attend the sale. The report she got back was
that it sold for $4000! We also heard about the arrowhead collections and model tractor collections that sold. That would have
been fun to see.

Glad you got a warm welcome!

MRJ ,we see summer cattle all the time coming to this altitude and get brisket disease usually Angus. If you catch it quick one can haul them back down hill and not have too much damage.

Faster Horses , yeah some stuff went at very good prices. we wanted to bid on a few more things but needed to get home to bless and name a baby today... and I bet most would of end above my price range...

Latest posts