Ranchers.net Bull Session

Baler question

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Nicky
Rancher
Rancher

Baler question

Postby Nicky » Sun May 28, 2017 8:11 pm

We had a hail storm about 10 days ago that really did a number on our alfalfa so we cut early to get it off so we can water up the second crop. We had a really good dew this morning (unusual for us) and Mike started to bale the raked hay. The monitor (the baler is a Vermeer 605 Super M) read dry, which was strange and the bales were shaped odd and spongy. He tested with the bale probe and it was very wet. Normally wet bales are hard. The rake is picking up all the damaged stems and alot of the leaves that were laying on the ground. Any thoughts are appreciated.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Baler question

Postby gcreekrch » Sun May 28, 2017 10:09 pm

Wait.

Or find a bale wrapper.
Don't tell people your problems, half of em' don't care and the other half are glad you got em' We can all run the neighbors better'n our own

Nicky
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Nicky » Mon May 29, 2017 7:41 am

lol, the question was more about why the monitor wasn't reading correctly and the bales were misshapen. It's working fine this morning.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Mon May 29, 2017 9:35 pm

My first rule of baler monitor moisture readings is: don't trust them!
Maybe it's because they are reading mostly hay from the outer edge of the swath, I don't know. I rely on the probe and use the monitor as a guide. Strangely enough, our 605N tends to give a reasonably accurate final reading for the completed bale, even though the moisture readings while making the bale appear to be generally inaccurate, normally reading drier than it really is. Go figure.

Return to “Ranch Talk”