• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

John SD

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Haytrucker

Reaction score
I read elsewhere that John SD passed this morning. I enjoyed his perspective, no doubt honed by a life in good ranch country. If it rained that year. Just like every place.

Sorry to hear that, I was just wondering about him. I always think about him when I see our tire water troughs. He was the one who said to put a big pipe in the overflow to drain them with, we did and it works great.

It is sad to lose those community 'old timers', maybe not so old in years, but have 'been there forever' it seems. Our local funeral home at Philip has had over a dozen funerals in the past three weeks or so. Sometimes they go that long without one, and they, and our communities, need one of those breaks! They cover a large area and serve us well.

I also met John SD at Deadwood, and we occasionally attended the same events and had a nice visit in the years since that event. I think it has been a couple of years since we saw him.

I was reminded of another attendee at that event earlier this week when his son was the officiant the funeral of a much too young to lose teacher at Midland. At only 58 years, she didn't wake up one morning. She had a kidney transplant a few years ago and was doing well. Anyway, Father Tyler Dennis of Kadoka performed his priestly duties when the usual Priest for St. Williams parish was unable to do so. He does a nice service. He is a son 'our' friend Jinglebob Dennis. I didn't get to visit with Father Tyler, as we had to leave immediately after services to begin the A-I procedures at our place. We saw Jinglebob at the annual celebration at Ft. Pierre a year or two ago. Shorty had some of his saddle collection on display, and I believe Jinglebob was one of the entertainers. We didn't have much time at that event. Why is it the good events in our small towns so often seem to fall at the same time???? We have to miss the Matched Bronc Ride and other events at the annual celebration at Philip next week-end.

Shorty's grandfather, Tom Berry is one of the honored past governors at the unveiling of four statues of governors for the Trail of Governors in Pierre, SD on the 16, and family members plan some 'reunion' time both in Ft. Pierre and at one of the ranch homes in the Badlands. We plan to enjoy 'our' events, but will miss being at the others, too.

Rest in peace, John SD

mrj

John William O'Grady
June 30, 1962 - June 9, 2017

Service to be held:
10:00 a.m. Wednesday, June 14, 2017

John William O'Grady , 54, longtime resident of rural Meade county, died Friday June 9th at the Black Hills Care and Rehab Center in Rapid City SD. Visitation and Rosary service will be 5-7pm Tues evening June 13th at Kinkade Funeral Chapel in Sturgis. Funeral Services will be held Wednesday, 10:00 am, June 14th at St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church in Sturgis with Fr. Timothy Castor and Fr. James Hoerter officiating. Burial will follow at St. Aloysius cemetery in Sturgis.

John was born in Deadwood SD June 30th, 1962, to William and Ella (Alexander) O'Grady. He went to high school at St. Martin's Academy, Rapid City, SD, and graduated in 1980. He was a longtime rancher until health concerns caused him to retire in 2012.

John was always a good neighbor; lived his Faith, and was a generous supporter of his church and community. He enjoyed bargain hunting and sharing his treasures. In later years the KBHB radio auction was a Saturday morning staple. John was also very active on a couple agricultural message boards and will be missed by online friends from across the United States. They recognized his wisdom, humor and passion for ranch life.

In later years it was harder for John to work but he still maintained the local cemetery and community hall grounds and that service gave him great pleasure.

John is pre-deceased by his parents, maternal and paternal grandparents and several aunts and uncles.

He is survived by his sister Lucille, two aunts and two uncles and numerous generations of cousins. John loved his family and friends.

Pallbearers are Dale Heaton, Brad Austin, Lynn Tarrant, Greg Loen, Jim O'Dea and Wayne Mickelson. Honorary Pallbearers are Jerry Austin, Robert Compton, Allen Waterland, Cory Cody, and Dwight Winn along with all family and friends

Memorial has been established to the Enning Ambulance Service and Fire Department.

Knock me over with a feather, that's my age... We have been to services for my wife's classmates. None of mine yet, every thing in the Good Lord's time. He sure wrote more mature than me.

Latest posts