• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Chinese export requirements

Help Support Ranchers.net:

redrobin

Reaction score
The new Chinese export requirements that the taxpayer funded u s ag dept negotiated requires traceability to a birth farm or port of entry into the u s from Mexico or Canada. Does Mexico have premis i d?

I can't find anything at all about the Mexican cattle needing traceability. Makes no sense. Funny, I remember a time when we couldn't even send anything manufactured in China to relatives wintering in Mexico. It all got inspected, fwiw.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/services/imports-exports/beef-ev-china

And what exactly is a "unique identifier".
Cattle must be traceable to the U.S. birth farm using a unique identifier, or if imported to the first place of residence or port of entry;

Big Muddy rancher said:
Gee our CCIA tag does that in Canada, Oldtimer used to tell us he had a paper trail on all the cattle in Montana :roll:

LOL, maybe the US will use our cattle to fill the contracts.

This is a stinking mountain of horseshit. We find melamine where it doesn't belong in Chinese imports - like baby formula. Lead in children's toys from china. And china wants greater source documentation from us producers than Aussie or Brazil? China is merely trying to play trade games with the same dim witted tactics. What they're asking for is easily provided by any segment that wants to meet that market, but the Chinese have figured out a way to descriminate against US mainstream supply chain meat. So the cheap stuff can't go in china, but that's what the Chinese can afford. Just another dishonorable stinkychinky trick. I love hardball - but if they want to slide in third nails up, saying aw shucks isn't the answer. Seems like us imports need to come from lead certified environs, and products from horribly polluted countries like India and china must be individually tested (for the safety of children). This dishonorable trade restrictions isn't tricky or complicated - time the Chinese learned the shape of the world is round.

Unless Canada now supports country of origin labling, I can't see that satisfying the gut eater market either.

I don't think anyone that follows this can be surprised that they are not going to take ractopamine fed beef. They don't take ractopamine fed pork either. They bought the whole Smithfield system from farrow to slaughter for this very reason.

I don't see any benefit to producers from ractopamine type additives. The eu uses implants as an excuse to exclude us beef, and the same is being done with ractopamines. Hell, clenbuterol has been illegal for decades. Frankly, floor sweepings from us packing houses are likely safer than Chinese food products so I see the complaints for what they are, but cattle producers won't suffer if we eliminate ractopamine.

gcreekrch said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Gee our CCIA tag does that in Canada, Oldtimer used to tell us he had a paper trail on all the cattle in Montana :roll:

LOL, maybe the US will use our cattle to fill the contracts.
Seriously, it would probably be much simpler since they only have to be traced to the port of entry. They only seem interested in the US "birth farm". What has developed from the past reports of Canada being considered to renew exports directly to China?

Brad, I agree with what you are saying. I find it rather interesting how the press won't use the word ractopamine when covering this story. The pharmaceutical business owns them because of the advertising dollars spent on such drugs.

Some boxes from Greater Omaha Packing are on their way. Doesn't actually say what's in them where it came from.

The first boxes from Greater Omaha Packing went out Wednesday, June 14. Gov. Pete Ricketts and Nebraska Department of Agriculture Director Greg Ibach helped load the first boxes.

20725.gif

https://cattlebusinessweekly.com/Content/Default/Rotator/Article/Nebraska-among-first-to-ship-beef-to-China/-3/463/8989

I called from Minnesota clear to Washington DC
trying to find out what would make my calves
eligible for export to China
NO one could tell me
no surprise I guess

VB RANCH said:
NO one could tell me
no surprise I guess

I certainly am not an expert. But, I think you'd really want to find a trader you can get your money from here in the states. There's a lot of games that can be played once that meat is on a ship headed to China. I'm not certain who will have a program for it. But, talk to the buyers from your nearest packing plants and see if they have anything in the pipeline and what it takes to be eligible.

The governments hammer policies. Companies actually make the trades if that makes sense.

Currently cattle have to be NHTC certified to be eligible to export to China. Not very many will qualify unless more people certify them.

"Not very many will qualify" appears to be a spot-on statement.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/LSOfficialListingNHTC.pdf

https://www.ams.usda.gov/services/imports-exports/nhtc

At this point in the juncture, does it not seem like the point of this agreement is just to get cattle that are imported into the US into a box, stamped "USDA inspected" and diverted to a slowly reopening overseas market? Not saying this is necessarily a bad thing, if it's the best they could do.

Beef and beef products must be derived from cattle that were born, raised, and slaughtered in the U.S., cattle that were imported from Canada or Mexico and subsequently raised and slaughtered in the U.S., or cattle that were imported from Canada or Mexico for direct slaughter;

Second party verification that the cattle have not been implanted or fed any growth hormones their entire life. They need this verification starting at their place of birth. They will need to be verified for age in this process also.

WB said:
Second party verification that the cattle have not been implanted or fed any growth hormones their entire life. They need this verification starting at their place of birth. They will need to be verified for age in this process also.
Unless they are from Mexico or Canada ?

VB RANCH said:
NO one could tell me
no surprise I guess
It don't seem like nobody on here knows either

VB RANCH said:
VB RANCH said:
NO one could tell me
no surprise I guess
The requirements are listed clearly in travelers links

redrobin said:
VB RANCH said:
VB RANCH said:
NO one could tell me
no surprise I guess
The requirements are listed clearly in travelers links
Since when is the European Union part of China ?

Latest posts