• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Selling steers wed

Help Support Ranchers.net:

redrobin

Reaction score
A partner and I are selling some steers wed . We bought them last summer , tough them around through fall and early winter on a brushy , cheap rent place. When hard winter got here in the middle of January we went to feeding them 8lbs per day and no hay, just browse. Grass came early in march so we cut them back to half. We cut them back to half a feed box( about 600 lbs) every other day around the first of may. They started in the 4wt size and weighed 880 yesterday. It might be a tough week to sell them but I'm proud of how they will work for the next man. We've kept them real usable.

4Diamond said:
LOL Prediction/uneducated guess/gut feeling
I'd say low 140s if things stay the same. I plan on 8 back, hope for 4 back though.thatd be for strait 8s

I saw the white Pete and jump trailer in the neighborhood today he might be adding to the sale bill for Wednesday.

You should be a college professor teaching marketing. How about $135.75? Would you be happy with that? That's a prediction, not a bid.

That October fat board is probably wrong, so call somewhere and tell them to get a pen ready for you, then line up two of those big smokers to be sitting at the chute when the sale is over. You may as well be the high bidder yourself. Even if it's not wrong, they can't hurt you too bad for what they'll likely bring and what your breakeven will be. The trend has been to go from stupidly overbought to stupidly oversold, then back again, and back again, with no real basis in fundamentals for the stupid swings. If you really like the cattle and think they'll work for the next guy, keep owning the cattle, minus the partner.

I called David at ingalls and he said he'd feed them for me. If there's a profit in them I'll feed them. If it's a break even or less I'll buy the board. 136 delivered today was a break even.
I'd rather be a professor than a gaay bar stripper where they put Texan on the marquee.

LMAO. That reminds me of the old feeding clubs where everybody in a circle of friends or acquaintances would put in a little money to partner on cattle when times were good. Truckers, bankers, waitresses - you name it, everybody was a player. In those days, I think there were even some strippers in Amarillo that fed cattle that way - LOL.

If they're only worth $1.36 delivered, it's going to be a tough day for you. But, if you're really confident that they'll perform like you expect, don't worry about that figure and bet on your cattle to do better.

Good luck, though. It's gonna be a long day for you and we've all been there. We can't control the markets, but you did a good job with the cattle and that's all a cowboy can control.

137 @ 881
Not bad for the way it is. Not good for the way it was. The barn did a good job keeping them from losing weight. We sold them and I never bid.

redrobin said:
137 @ 881
Not bad for the way it is. Not good for the way it was. The barn did a good job keeping them from losing weight. We sold them and I never bid.
Ppl laugh at us for taking cattle in early for a sale but best I can tell it pays me every time.

Matt Lowery is a Nebraska auctioneer, and he posted this a few hours ago on his Facebook page. "Today at Valentine Livestock 202 head of home raised angus steers weighed 773 lbs. and brought $178.50." On another comment he wrote: "880s at 158. 910s at 154."

Latest posts