• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

cowboys

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Some great photography there. I saw some good horsemanship too; and the cows looked good. I would think that was filmed
in Nevada? Arizona? Texas? Not sure where.

I do have a couple of questions. On the gray horse that reared up--why would you get on a horse with his foot tied up?
That guy was asking for it.

And I wonder why they braid a knot in the horses tail? I've not seen that before.

Thanks for posting the trailer, littlejoe, we'll have to watch for the movie!

Faster horses said:
And I wonder why they braid a knot in the horses tail? I've not seen that before.

Not sure exactly what you saw, but we braid long tails on horses if using them in a manner where they may otherwise step on them.

Looks like a movie I'd really enjoy watching. I agree with Silver on the tails. Just a quick braid to keep em' out the brush and cockleburs. Most of those fellers built Mecate's and such out of horse hair. Its a easy way to save a nice long broom tail. I enjoyed the trailer and to quote Chris LeDoux, "Cowboys aint gone, ya just can't see em' from the road". :D

I finally got time to watch the video, that sure does look worth watching. Beautiful country too.
I may have to watch it again but the only braided tail I saw was completely braided.
As for the fella with the horses foot tied up, that's an old method of preventing a horse from bucking too hard when you first get on, just to get them used to a person being up there. At least I assume that's what that guy was doing. This method always seemed a little sketchy to me but if it works and horse and rider come out none the worse for wear then I suppose it's a 'no harm no foul' sort of deal.

Silver said:
I finally got time to watch the video, that sure does look worth watching. Beautiful country too.
I may have to watch it again but the only braided tail I saw was completely braided.
As for the fella with the horses foot tied up, that's an old method of preventing a horse from bucking too hard when you first get on, just to get them used to a person being up there. At least I assume that's what that guy was doing. This method always seemed a little sketchy to me but if it works and horse and rider come out none the worse for wear then I suppose it's a 'no harm no foul' sort of deal.

Didn't look like it worked very well in this instance. Usually when they do that, they let the horse get used to having his foot tied
up before they get on.......looks like this was a first for the horse and it scared him, or upset him, however one wants to look at it.
Prior and proper preparation prevents pee-poor performance. :D

Luckily, we have been fortunate to spend a lot of time with great horsemen/women for years.

Faster horses said:
Luckily, we have been fortunate to spend a lot of time with great horsemen/women for years.

It helps for sure. I grew up on the ranch with a father and grandfather that spent a lifetime learning horsemanship. Being a slow learner, I have managed to acquire just enough to get me by but not enough to make me really handy, and just knowledgeable enough to know I don't know much :nod:

Silver said:
Faster horses said:

It helps for sure. I grew up on the ranch with a father and grandfather that spent a lifetime learning horsemanship. Being a slow learner, I have managed to acquire just enough to get me by but not enough to make me really handy, and just knowledgeable enough to know I don't know much :nod:

Sounds like here. And with our loss of memory due to age, every day is a new day. :lol2: Just about the time we thought we might know something, now we've forgotten it all. :D

Latest posts