Ranchers.net Bull Session

Springs

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
redrobin

Springs

Postby redrobin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:18 pm

Here's a good spring and old spring tank on a rent place . 100 gallon a minute or so. Clean and cold and never gets much weaker.

4Diamond
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Springs

Postby 4Diamond » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:24 pm

Good place to spend a warm day. We've got a couple good springs then several wet weather springs.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:18 pm

Nothing like a good spring.

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:49 am

We've got water on our place that flows all winter into the creek It's only a couple inches deep but I have only chopped ice about 10 days per winter as it freezes up another spot opens up.
If your dreams don't scare you there not big enough!

redrobin

Postby redrobin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:45 pm

This spring is on a place I own. The spring is split, half on me, half the neighbors. Same deal here . A hundred gallon per minute or so and never gets much lower.

Haytrucker

Postby Haytrucker » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:51 pm

Two winters ago we had a bunch in a circle of corn stalks. Forecast got nasty and the director called a neighbor across the road about an 80 with trees just over the fence. He and I spent the next day in the fog fencing, must of put 500 staples in. Swam a single barb wire across a slough on the uphill end. Wound up feeding there til calving. Took a chainsaw twice a week to keep the ice where you could chop it. When it had been turbo cold for about 10 days the cows quit worrying about my axe. I found a clear hole in the ice about 2 feet across. Just upstream was an ice bridge that looked a foot thick. Never tried it with the bale bed, but sure held a 4 wheeler and a lot of heavy cows. Best thing about my whole winter. I would guess it ran 40 gallons, but I bet that's low, because I never broke ice on it above minus 10. Water just boiled up there then went on down and heaved ice.

Return to “Ranch Talk”