• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

She's gone

Help Support Ranchers.net:

George

Reaction score
Many of you might remember that I have made a project out of "Ole Meany" This was a charolis cow #15 that has had a bad attitude and I thiught I could modify it - - - bad long time experiment.

I even kept her up for hand feeding and hand watering - - - this cow normally had a muddy head as she would just plow into the ground on a regular basis.

This year she got to butting all of the cows and calves around her and she ended up killing her own calf - - - I sent her to the sale barn last Saterday and the whole herd has calmed down dramaticly! I should have shipped her several years ago!!!

I am now down to 14 cows and 14 calves - - - one bull and all black except one smokey cow that my grand daughter claimed about 8 years ago - - - makes the grand daughters cow easy to spot from a distance.

Good for you, George! I've never had much luck trying to tame a crazy one down. Some years ago, I bought 4 bred registered Hereford heifers at a "Reputation" Hereford breeders sale. whew. say that 3 times real fast. Those were the nastiest heifers I've ever been around. After having gates torn off hinges, fences challenged, one killed her calf when she calved, I got them loaded up and they all went to town. I put their registration papers in an envelope and mailed them back to the nearly famous Hereford breeder and told him I'd never be back. Yeah-I bet he lost sleep over that one-not. Never heard anything from him. Seems like I learn the hard way.

I just found out that photo bucket now wants $400.00 per year to allow the pictures to come to these sites - - - sorry I will not pay!

Also I talked to the guys from the sale barn and "Ole Meany" was so distructive that she almost destroyed a bull pen and when they ran her on the scale she hit the fron door so hard she went to her knees and they thought she was going to die - - - then she acted calm going thru the ring and the rest of her stay at the barn - - - I guess she just needed a good knock in the head!!!

Vindication, George! There are too many good cows to make exceptions/excuses for the bad ones. :clap:

I had a cow last fall that had a BIG calf in her at Preg check time. She calved just before Xmas, so I had to keep her up close for the winter. I would never turn my back to her as she would paw and shake her head at me. Last week I was shipping yearlings so I loaded her and her calf up and sent them to the sale, The hfr weighed 601 and brought $1100 so that was good and the cow sold well. Best place for the miserable snake.

We had a yearling heifer that was on the fight......bad. At our place, there were lots of reasons why NOT to be that way, as they were handled carefully and quietly. Long story short, she was so bad that we shot her. There had been a death at the sale barn from a cow taking a lady on the crew and we just didn't want to be responsible for anything like that. She had aborted her calf and needed to be doctored to clean and it was not worth the effort. She took everyone, jumped out and got away. Mr. FH let her get with the other cows and got them all in the corral. We tried to sort her off and she took me when I just walked across the alley to shut a gate. So BANG....end of problem for everyone.

I had a cow beat me up right in the alley in the barn a few years ago, broke my arm and was working me over on the ground. Had a friend that wasn't there that told his wife if had have he would have shot the cow. She said what about Big Muddy? He said I might have been collateral damage but the cow would have been shot.
What are friends for?

Latest posts