• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Generational disasters

Help Support Ranchers.net:

redrobin

Reaction score
I've seen more 100 year flood,fire, hurricanes, ice storms etc than I can shake a stick at. I've seen at least 2 100 year floods and an ice storm like no one has ever seen . Curious what's next. Volcanoes?

redrobin said:
I've seen more 100 year flood,fire, hurricanes, ice storms etc than I can shake a stick at. I've seen at least 2 100 year floods and an ice storm like no one has ever seen . Curious what's next. Volcanoes?

I had no idea you were that old. :wink: :lol2: :cowboy: :nod:

I don't know what could come next. I left California in the last part of the crippling drought there. I'm in a high rainfall part of the country now and I still start sweating when it dries out just a tad here. I think I have weather related PTSD. :lol:
I have a friend that we helped in Kansas after the fires there that has family in Montana in the areas that burned and also in Texas where the massive flooding is. I admire her strength as she's still laughing and helping where she can despite still putting her own life back together. I admire her strength.
The part that still irritates me is that we continue to see disasters but it only gets covered if it's a high population area. Where do people think their food supply comes from? Do we not matter unless we live in a city?

Generational disasters is a misleading media term, like pink slime! :mad: This Houston flooding was a "1000 year storm" according to the press. Now I am not in any diminishing the damage and loss of life Harvey brought, but weather records have clearly shown the same flooding or worse down there in the 1930's. We live in a generation of dishonest journalism. Anything for a headline or to grab more mouse clicks. We have drought and fire and floods and earthquakes where I live, although floods are rare. Even had a few tornados. I guess I wonder if we are having more disasters or if they are just hyped and publicized more?

I'm sure a carbon tax and strict regulation would fix everything. Oh yeah, gotta stop fracking.

leanin' H said:
Generational disasters is a misleading media term, like pink slime! :mad: This Houston flooding was a "1000 year storm" according to the press. Now I am not in any diminishing the damage and loss of life Harvey brought, but weather records have clearly shown the same flooding or worse down there in the 1930's. We live in a generation of dishonest journalism. Anything for a headline or to grab more mouse clicks. We have drought and fire and floods and earthquakes where I live, although floods are rare. Even had a few tornados. I guess I wonder if we are having more disasters or if they are just hyped and publicized more?

Leanin, you are correct. If you study the hour by hour rain fall amounts you will see that there were periods where the amount of rain exceeded the 100, 500, 1000 and even one period exceeded the 40,000 year flood predictions. Over all, though, Allison probably dumped more rain on us than Harvey. Truth in journalism is a thing of the past. All we have now is sensationalism crafted to sell more advertising.

Has anyone else heard, as I have, serious predictions for Yellowstones' next disaster to be a volcano? I believe that was predicted soon after the Mt. St. Helens' mess.

I do agree that the 'doom and gloom prophets' sure do seem to enjoy frightening people with fears of even worse than the 'disaster of the moment'! And sure don't doubt that many politicians use them for politican gains, AND opportunities to add ever more regulations.

There is one regulation desperately needed, and that is not to pay for 'flood damage' for buildings in the very same location time after time. It is a flood plain, either design buildings on stilts with ground level area for garages and/or outdoor living areas like patio's, or turn the most flood prone areas into parks!

Admitting we did build a walk-out basement in an area that flooded in 1927, and water did get almost to the door about three years ago isn't easy. We should have gotten advice (sorry for the interruption) on how to better design additions to our house, originally two old claim shacks to which my in-laws added a kitchen and bath with 'real running water' after we had a couple of kids. Two more kids and we were out of room, so we basically added a house to that addition, later tearing down the original part and replacing it with a family room and garage. The part with the walk-out basement on one side should have been a split level on the 'higher ground level' on the opposite side of the first addition. I went with the best view, so have had the flood worries. However, if we were to get the 1927 type flood, the entire basement of bedrooms, sewing and laundry rooms would be full of water...... Guess the 'blessing' of having the more prevalent drought years have 'saved' us from major flood damage.

mrj

mrj saw a program on TV a few weeks ago about that exact thing. Seems there is an existing mega volcano underneath Yellowstone. Hasn't erupted in about 600,000 years but time for it to do it again. If they are right in their hypothesis it could more or less wipe out civilization as we know it.

leanin' H said:

Another example is the comments about the fire season. Ummmm.... The Great fire of 1910 (Also known as Devilsbroom) was 3 million acres. It stretched from Eastern Washington, across Northern Idaho and Montana (As well as parts of BC I believe).

PPRM said:
leanin' H said:

Another example is the comments about the fire season. Ummmm.... The Great fire of 1910 (Also known as Devilsbroom) was 3 million acres. It stretched from Eastern Washington, across Northern Idaho and Montana (As well as parts of BC I believe).

WOW, PPRM. I had never heard that. :shock: I'll have to read up on it.

IMO, predicting these 'natural disasters' is about as accurate as political polling.

I Feel for yall in fire country , Ill take hurricanes and water anyday of the week

Latest posts