Ranchers.net Bull Session

Fences

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Fences

Postby Silver » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:43 am

I've had pretty good luck using an electric fencer on one of the barbed wires in areas where cattle tend to get pushy. Seems to work great over a relatively short distance even without insulators. Gives me a nice warm fuzzy feeling of having a sturdy barbed wire fence with the extra layer of security provided by the electricity.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:12 pm

Moose and elk can still do a pretty good job on a 5 wire HT fence.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

m5farm

Postby m5farm » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:25 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:Moose and elk can still do a pretty good job on a 5 wire HT fence.

We don't have those critters

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:17 pm

m5farm wrote:
Big Muddy rancher wrote:Moose and elk can still do a pretty good job on a 5 wire HT fence.

We don't have those critters

We do. :D :( :cowboy:

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Haytrucker

Postby Haytrucker » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:51 pm

Elk aren't very compatible with 4 barbed wires either, but if you keep the top one fresh, they know they hit it. I have used several different fence systems and have no distinct preference. The right tool for the right job. If using electric fence, shock power is key. I have corralled cows with a single wire wing, but I'm not sure a fire would have driven them over it. A blizzard sure didn't. They were easy to get through a gate in the same wire, handled daily. If I turn pairs out for the summer I'll take a decent 4 wire barbed fence and enough feed.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:43 pm

Rebuilding the wire fences here. New posts, 35 year old barb wire. Proper splices where it had been "fixed" before and a hot high tensile in the middle of four barbed. Haven't touched any we've done this way yet. Hoping the bears and wolves get a snoot full of electricity and go elsewhere too.
Don't tell people your problems, half of em' don't care and the other half are glad you got em' We can all run the neighbors better'n our own

cracker hand

Postby cracker hand » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:03 am

Well I am sorry that your fence is down. Ours too. We were ground zero for Irma and it went right over the top of us. While it wasn't the most powerful storm to hit us, it was a long one. The hurricane and tropical storm force winds lasted for over 6 hours. Trees are down all over the place. Some on fences and some not. We have enough firewood for several generations to come. It gets cold here about 3 days a year so maybe it will last till the next century. You get enough fence down and you don't care if its electric, barbed or chain link, you're tired of putting it back up. Luckily, the cows stayed put. Maybe they were tired too.

GM888

Postby GM888 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:39 am

What are you guys using for splices. I have been tying the broken spots but have to ty twice because cant get enough slack. Was at ufa and they have one that pushes the wire in and locks, and a crimp splice. Is one better then the other. I have no issue with tying other then its time consuming

GM888

Postby GM888 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:47 am

I am running 2 wire electric fence on all my interior fences . Bought a load of posts a grain farmer pulled out 10 years ago for next 2 nothing, with no pressure on the fence , cows reaching through I think I will get another 20 years out of them. I can put up a mile of fence in a afternoon and they never cross it. Make sure I have a good slant brace at each end and some places I get up to 100 feet spacing on posts

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:44 pm

Use the one my Daddy taught me.

Cross wire and hold with pliers, twist west bound wire around east wire and vice versa. You need two to make a repair unless the wire is really loose.

You need at least four tight wraps per side, six is better.
Don't tell people your problems, half of em' don't care and the other half are glad you got em' We can all run the neighbors better'n our own

GM888

Postby GM888 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:52 pm

gcreekrch wrote:Use the one my Daddy taught me.

Cross wire and hold with pliers, twist west bound wire around east wire and vice versa. You need two to make a repair unless the wire is really loose.

Hahaha. For barb wire that works fine and is how I splice. For High tensile it comes apart. For high tensile and high tensile barb wire I tie a square knot then wrap about 6 times but you need to tie 2 knots and wire that has been up a while is harder to work with in the high tensile. I probably pull my high tensile wire to tight according to the experts but found it worked better for me. If I have to splice theres not enough to tie a knot.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:42 pm

GM888 wrote:
gcreekrch wrote:Use the one my Daddy taught me.

Hahaha. For barb wire that works fine and is how I splice. For High tensile it comes apart. For high tensile and high tensile barb wire I tie a square knot then wrap about 6 times but you need to tie 2 knots and wire that has been up a while is harder to work with in the high tensile. I probably pull my high tensile wire to tight according to the experts but found it worked better for me. If I have to splice theres not enough to tie a knot.

Those crimper thingys work good for that. I've used 2 loops for HT also and a lot of those splices have been there for many years.

Return to “Ranch Talk”