• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What kind of bluestem?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

That sure looks like what I've always considered to be broomsedge blue. We call it sage grass around here. I guess I've been wrong about that if you're sure that's not what it is. Mine is rank and going to seed now.

It's always nice to see it, because it's something green that comes on late in the summer when everything else is turning yellow or brown. But, it gets rank so fast that cows can't stay on top of it, anyway, so it ends up being what FH called it - a weed.

About the only way to get any value out of it is to cut it for hay - you can make a cow eat it that way. But, I've always either got all the hay I need by this time of year, or it's dry enough that I'm having to graze everything and it wouldn't be worth baling, anyway.

That's quite a diversity of species in that top pic.

It's intermixed with sage grass. The stems are round instead of flattened. When this is more vegetative it's a bluer type hue of green than sage. In the bottom picture you can see sage grass in the background. It isn't hardly blooming.

OWE MONEY said:
That is little bluestem It is an increaser in our sandhills of Nebraska.Does catch a lot of snow though.
Thank you sir. It's a little different than some I've seen but I guess that's what it is

I took these in the pasture for this thread and forgot about it. Redrobbin link looks pretty similar but I would've bet against it.

Most of our grasses are bluestem. King ranch, Dahl , and big. Have a seed head somewhat similar to Bermuda

Latest posts