• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ft. Pierre

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Takes a lot of fuzzy math pencil work to put lipstick on that pig.

I'm always anxious to learn something, so feel free to show me the math on how those cattle will work. You're starting out at $1241.60 on a six weight and your assignment is to hang them up with a profit. Go.

Mr Texan, if you can't turn a modest profit @ $1.94/lb you need to be in another line of work. A few short years ago it was costing me about $8000.00/month to feed my herd and one morning I woke up and decided this is not why I'm raising cattle. Supposed to be a little profit every once in a while. So I hauled them all off and guess what? Best price I got for my 6 wts. was $.50/lb. So a $1.94 looks pretty good to me.

Texan said:
Reading is fundamental.

I agree. So is communicating an idea. And since we can't see body language or facial expressions it's hard to tell when someone is Bullshitting or serious. So if you were BS'ing then I apologize. Can't tell.

I think he was meaning that the feeder was going to have a hard time breaking even on those cattle.
We all need to make a profit on cattle just seems that not all of us can do it at the same time.

Our steers averaged 647 lbs, and averaged $1,431.00 per head. Canadian of course. Been many a year it wasn't that good and you'd need to do a lot of fuzzy math pencil work to see your way through. I don't want to see any feeders go broke, because we need them, but I don't feel too sorry for them when it's their turn to take a bath once in a while.

lavacarancher said:
Texan said:
Reading is fundamental.

I agree. So is communicating an idea. And since we can't see body language or facial expressions it's hard to tell when someone is Bullshitting or serious. So if you were BS'ing then I apologize. Can't tell.
Not BS'ing, but no apology necessary either way. BMR is correct, I was referring to those cattle needing to work for the buyer.

I know we all want to get everything we can out of what we sell, but I want the next guy to make something, too. Why would anybody not want their customer to make money? No matter which sector of the cattle business that you're in, equity losses in the feeding sector are bad news.

Texan said:
lavacarancher said:
Texan said:
Reading is fundamental.

Not BS'ing, but no apology necessary either way. BMR is correct, I was referring to those cattle needing to work for the buyer.

I know we all want to get everything we can out of what we sell, but I want the next guy to make something, too. Why would anybody not want their customer to make money? No matter which sector of the cattle business that you're in, equity losses in the feeding sector are bad news.

re. the "but I want the next guy to make something, too." It's good to see that comment! Since the first small local auction market I went to with my dad MANY years ago, I've heard too many people (including auctioneers of all people!) berating the cattle feeders there to buy calves for not paying enough to the rancher/sellers of those calves!

That attitude puzzled me as a ten year old, and all these years later I still don't understand it! But am more disgusted than puzzled now, since that attitude STILL remains, from too many involved in various facets of cattle production on up the market chain, berating packers for 'cheating' feeder cattle owners, to,(packer slammed again) along with grocers, for setting prices too high for consumers buying beef!

I prefer the idea/business model, of independent businessmen (ranchers, feeders, packers, grocers) having formal, or informal alliances of select suppliers of quality products (calves, feeder cattle, to meat in the producer markets) able to make their own deals for fair market prices. No need to call anyone 'crooks' when we don't like the deal, don't sell to that person.

I believe a pretty good example is the dozens and dozens of privately labelled beef brands.

mrj

Latest posts