• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Looking Like Winter Today

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Silver

Reaction score
Woke up to a foot of snow and no power this morning. Yesterday it was 14C (57F), which was good because we had a few liner loads of cattle at the salebarn so it made for great sorting / weaning / shipping weather.
Got a genset down to the replacement heifers this morning to power up the water system to the corral and another hooked up to my pellet stove and internet so now I think its time to hole up for the day and stare out the windows.

30+F this morning but up to 54+F now - - - nice and sunny - - - 300 more acres of corn and harvest will be done - - - hopefully by tomorrow night. My son and daughter-in-law are reall go getters! We had about 2,300 acres to start with.

I love having the equipment all pressure washed and in the barns before the weather gets bad!

My wife thinks I'm crazy but I park the skid steer in the garage in the basement all winter so when I go feed it is about 50+F , starts good, no ice to scrape and the heater starts working before I get to the first gate! Sure makes feeding round bales easy!

As I get older I try to work easier!

Storm is headed here have a broken water line digging it up with the skid steer in sand ground kept caving in on me have two sets of trailer ramps laid down to walk out on and have the problem found now to just repair it after lunch. A backhoe would be nice.

Power came back on this morning after about 36 hrs being off, went to the corrals to shut down the generator and plug the pump back in to line power. Plugged it in and the pump was seized; loud hum but wouldn't turn. So installed new pressure pump. Seems like there is always something.
Denny, I know lots of folks frown on having extra iron around but I sure have no regrets about buying that John Deere track hoe. It has a million uses around here. Didn't cost much more than a Wheathart Heavy Hitter and is a whole lot handier on the fence line. The bucket holds a full bundle of posts so once the line is strung you can push a half mile of posts in the ground in well under 2 hours.

Denny said:
Storm is headed here have a broken water line digging it up with the skid steer in sand ground kept caving in on me have two sets of trailer ramps laid down to walk out on and have the problem found now to just repair it after lunch. A backhoe would be nice.

I would come help you but it is just to far - - - the tool rental agencys around here will rent a backhoe for about$200.00 per day - - - if you have much to do it might be worth it. I rented one for the house in Ft. Drum Fl. - - - lined up the projects I had and completed them in one day.

I am going to run new water lines to the barns - - - I put them in in 1972 and 100# test black plastic was the best you could get then - - - I am replacing with 200# test - - - should out last my grandkids! I have fixed 4 leaks this year and now have 2 more so I decided it is just to old to keep in service ( my wife probably says this about me )

My son bought a backhoe like new for the skid steer at auction for $1,500 - - - I have used it a couple of times and it works fine but if my JD is available I get along much better!

Silver said:
Power came back on this morning after about 36 hrs being off, went to the corrals to shut down the generator and plug the pump back in to line power. Plugged it in and the pump was seized; loud hum but wouldn't turn. So installed new pressure pump. Seems like there is always something.
Denny, I know lots of folks frown on having extra iron around but I sure have no regrets about buying that John Deere track hoe. It has a million uses around here. Didn't cost much more than a Wheathart Heavy Hitter and is a whole lot handier on the fence line. The bucket holds a full bundle of posts so once the line is strung you can push a half mile of posts in the ground in well under 2 hours.

yeah a trac-hoe is on my needs list we rented one for a week last year got alot done for the $1000 it cost me.

I don't think the weather itself knows what comes next here. In the last three days we've went from eighty seven to twenty one and were back into the high sixties today. I guess my vaccination program is working as my weaned calves are taking it in stride.

Latest posts