• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

MY DAUGHTER WAS A BIT SPOOKED, by Steve Moreland, December 18, 2017

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
MY DAUGHTER WAS A BIT SPOOKED
By Steve Moreland, December 18, 2017

Back on November 21st, 1994 an old area cowboy passed on. Ken Keller was born November 4th, 1924 so was 70 years old at the time of his death. He had worked for Garould Fairhead for many years, and he was living on the Fairhead Ranch north of Merriman, Nebraska when I first met him. Later he did day work, and my dad Bob Moreland hired him on several occasions to help us trail cattle. Ken Keller spent his last years working for the Texas cattleman A.W. Moursund, who owned several ranches in Cherry and Sheridan counties in Nebraska.

One morning as we were eating breakfast the phone rang. Ken Keller's daughter Wanda King was calling, and she asked if I would be a pallbearer for the upcoming funeral for her dad. I expressed my condolences and said it was an honor to be asked, and that I would be pleased to comply. Wanda stated that the funeral would be the next day, and that it would be just a graveside service at the Merriman cemetery. She didn't know yet what time it would be, but promised to call back that evening with more details.

We were busy doing fall cattle work, and the November days were getting short. It was well past dark when my wife Carol and I came in from outside to have supper. Our young eight-year-old daughter Tiffany was quite glad to see us. She had a scared look on her face, and her voice trembled when she met us at the door and blurted out, "Dad, a strange lady just called, and she wants to meet you at the cemetery at ten o'clock!" Tiffany was quite relieved when I told her the rest of the story, and that it would be ten o'clock the next morning and in broad daylight when the meeting at the cemetery would occur.

Good one!

Last Halloween I was still hauling water for some bulls, I was filling my water tanks at the community well across from the cemetery about 9 O clock at night, I wasn't 10 but it was a little creepy

Big Muddy rancher said:
Good one!

Last Halloween I was still hauling water for some bulls, I was filling my water tanks at the community well across from the cemetery about 9 O clock at night, I wasn't 10 but it was a little creepy

Probably so. :cboy:

Latest posts