• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Our first trip to AZ desert

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Out in the desert we found where Patton did some military training before he went to Africa. It is surprisingly undisturbed and very interesting. On a flat where there were rocks outlining barracks we found "B-Co. 2/67th" and in another place "Charlie 2/67th."

Mr. FH loves the big cactus.

Our camp in the desert:

We are here with Mr. FH double cousin, Dave, and his wife:

Looks like fun! I spent a bunch of time in Nevada as a kid. If you knew where to look you could find the indian camps preserved as if they had been there the week before. It always amazed me how well the desert preserves history.

Love the desert. We were in the Nashville area before Christmas.........damn near froze.

Traveler said:
Love the desert. We were in the Nashville area before Christmas.........damn near froze.

Wish I could say the same. I'm not loving it except for the weather. People here drive crazy and the scenery isn't much.
But I haven't been here very long, either. Going to Lake Alamo and see the wild donkeys soon.

Well it doesn't look like you're camping in a Walmart parking lot.

Have you heard of any Chuck wagon cook offs or any fun things like a big team roping?

Faster horses said:
Traveler said:

Wish I could say the same. I'm not loving it except for the weather. People here drive crazy and the scenery isn't much.
But I haven't been here very long, either. Going to Lake Alamo and see the wild donkeys soon.

Keep us updated. There's got to be something to explore with that new Pioneer. Nice looking camper/toy hauler.

Traveler said:
Faster horses said:
Traveler said:

Keep us updated. There's got to be something to explore with that new Pioneer. Nice looking camper/toy hauler.

The new toy hauler isn't ours. It belongs to cuz's. We have a aluminum trailer with the Pioneer loaded on that we pull behind
our trailer. Was a lot better when cuz took a wrong turn in Prescott. He led us up a winding narrow street in a prestigious neighborhood. A sign said "no outlet" and it wasn't lying. His toy hauler is 40' long and he couldn't turn around so had to back all
the way down. We were able to turn around using a driveway to a very fancy home. A neighbor came out and helped turn the
little trailer around since we unhooked it to get turned around. We told him thanks and said if his neighbor saw black marks
in his driveway to tell him what happened. He said, "I'm not telling him anything. You are just lucky he wasn't home." :shock:

Trying to back around. (didn't work) :D

The end of the trail.

RV Park. Since it is our first trip, we can't imagine all the RV's here.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Well it doesn't look like you're camping in a Walmart parking lot.

Have you heard of any Chuck wagon cook offs or any fun things like a big team roping?

That would be in Wickenburg, hoping to go there soon. We did visit a bookstore in Quartzite with a nude owner.
That was an experience. I didn't take pictures...well, one with my phone but it didn't turn out very well. :lol:
All he wore wore was a little knitted loin cloth (only smaller), a shirt, top hat and thongs on his feet. If I
can find his name, you can look it up. I did buy a book there. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We did park one night in Colorado in a deserted Safeway parking lot. :D

Got snowed in in Moab Utah.

Enjoyed seeing some of the arches, but I can't seem to find those pictures.

FH, we took a few days off to travel to Wyoming to see the eclipse last year. We "camped out" in a travel trailer not quite as big as yours and we did spend one night in a Walmart parking lot. We simply over estimated how far we could tow in one day. Trip was uneventful until we started back and had to hold up in Austin, Texas for a couple of days until the water went down from Harvey. GMC diesel pulled the trailer like it didn't know it was back there. We did make it up to the bad lands and Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Beautiful country up there. Looking forward to another trip this year.

Latest posts