• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A COINCIDENTAL HAPPENSTANCE, by Steve Moreland, January 31, 2018

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
A COINCIDENTAL HAPPENSTANCE
By Steve Moreland, January 31, 2018

I don't normally imbibe in very much television, but made an exception last night to watch President Donald Trump's first-year State of the Union address. It was a fine speech I might add, even if the hour and twenty minutes seemed a bit long. With all of his positive accomplishments, he was truly justified in taking that long, and it was interesting to observe all that happened and didn't happen during the course of the evening.

While I was watching the Fox News channel, Carol was in the next room listening to the speech and going through some of my dad's old accumulations. She got into a box of old checks that he had written back in the 1950's, and there was one lonely newspaper clipping in that box. She brought it in for me to see. It was an undated picture of a man holding the lead strap of the halter on a horned Hereford bull. The headline proclaimed: FORNEY SHOWS GRAND CHAMPION. Below the picture, a write-up stated: "Pictured above is Hubert Forney of Marsland with Silver Pioneer, Grand Champion of last Thursday's Northwest Nebraska Hereford Association show. The animal, consigned by Donald W. Forney sold Friday to Robert Moreland of Merriman for $1800, top price of the sale."

Today normal ranching responsibilities were attended to in the morning, and Carol and I both had 3 p.m. appointments in Gordon. Carol had a check-up with Gordon Dental, and I had an annual visit with Gordon Vison Center. As we drove through Merriman, we stopped to get our mail at the post office. There I traded places with Carol, and she drove to Gordon so I could read the mail or the ever-present book of some kind that is always along. There was an envelope addressed to Carol and me from Eleanor McClung of Portland, Oregon. Eleanor is a sweet lady who just celebrated her 96th birthday back in August of 2017. She and my dad, Bob Moreland, were second cousins.

A nice hand-written note from Eleanor read:

1/24/18 - Dear Ones all—I found this among some photographs and it may have been sent to me in 1954—I got a kick out of it and thought you would, too. Hope all is well with all of you! Lots and lots of love & best wishes—Eleanor—P.S. $1800 was a lot of money back then!

The newspaper clipping that she sent reads: R. MORELAND BUYS CHAMPION BULL * Fifty-four bulls brought a total of $34,605 or an average of $641 at the annual Northwest Nebraska Hereford Association fall sale staged Nov. 19 at Valentine. The top price of the sale was $1800 paid by Robert Moreland of Merriman for the grand champion, consigned by Donald Forney of Lakeside. The reserve champion from the Furman Hereford Ranch, Marsland, went to Harry C. Coble of Mullen at $1600. Nine other animals sold for $1000 or more. Hubert H. and Donald W. Forney of Lakeside and the Furman Ranch topped all five classes at Thursday's show. Forneys had three class champions and Furmans, two. Don Forney's Silver Pioneer was judged grand champion and Furmans' F. Royal Prince 70th, reserve.

Even though neither of these clippings had dates on them, by reading between the lines we were able to determine that it was indeed 1954 when this show and sale occurred. We found one clipping one day, and a relative sent us another similar clipping of the same news item on the next day, with the featured event happening over 63 years ago. I was only three years old when Dad bought this bull, and barely remember him even talking about this deal. What are the odds of all this coming together? Sometimes I think God has quite a sense of humor.

Bob%20Moreland%20buys%20bull%20for%201800%20in%201954_zpsycsuburp.jpg

Don't know anything about odds, Soap, but I do know God has a wonderful sense of humor !

Someone's trying to tell you to put a whole battery of Hereford Bulls on those fine black cattle.

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to get the residual-image of an utterly-disrespectful, pale-faced Nancy Pelosi (the 'Red-Queen' of Democrat-party) sitting there 'angrily twitching & fidgeting', swishing her dentures around in her mouth while shooting absolutely BURNING hateful-glares at POTUS whil'st he was speaking from behind the lecturn. What on earth is WRONG with that woman ? ? ?

Ltdumbear said:
Meanwhile, I'm still trying to get the residual-image of an utterly-disrespectful, pale-faced Nancy Pelosi (the 'Red-Queen' of Democrat-party) sitting there 'angrily twitching & fidgeting', swishing her dentures around in her mouth while shooting absolutely BURNING hateful-glares at POTUS whil'st he was speaking from behind the lecturn. What on earth is WRONG with that woman ? ? ?

Liberalism is a mental disease.
Nice to see you back, Ltdumbear. Hope things are well with you.

That bull sure shows the size of the times, Soapweed. Thanks for sharing that story.

Nothing 'positive' to report, from my end...yet...but I am sure things will start looking-up the moment I land a calving/feeding job somewhere in this region, before my saving$ (from 2016) are completely gone. Lost my Mom 5 days before X-mas...knew it was coming, but now my elderly father has expressed a desire to move into her home before VA-community assigns it to someone else, this coming spring...so I'll finally (hopefully) be able to spend some time with my Dad, before the Good Lord takes him home, as well. It would be really nice if I could land a ranch-job in Sheridan County (or at least somewhere here in the Big Horn Basin) so I could keep my drivers lic & plates, as well as keep the miles off my WOE-FULLY worn-out/tired old Chevy, who is literally on her last legs.

And that's about it, in a nut-shell...

Latest posts