Ranchers.net Bull Session

Just a haying between the rains

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Haytrucker

Just a haying between the rains

Postby Haytrucker » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:04 pm

I hope a lot of you have this problem, and I wish everyone could. Just once. We usually don't, dang I miss a good 2 month dry spell... Got first cutting alfalfa up right, but we have grown a batch of fuel since then. How's the rest of the world getting along?

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Just a haying between the rains

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:50 am

We just got started, have had a shower every night it seems but not really enough to do much more then delay our morning start. Not a bad looking crop of grass hay with a little alfalfa showing.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Haytrucker

Postby Haytrucker » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:56 am

The native hay here is staying fresh longer than usual so I guess we aren't losing much, but all we have to do is cut oats and here comes the next drink. The last wheat we baled had been down over 2 weeks.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:27 am

We have been trying to start; waiting out the showers...so Mr. FH cut some July 3, it got rained on. But, he made 4 rounds and broke down, so not much got rained on. Going to give it heck today, 20% chance of rain in the forecast so that can mean anything!!

There has been so really bad weather around, rain, hail, tornadoes. There were 4 or 5 tornadoes near Camp Crook, Mt. June 28th.
It's been wicked.
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

leanin' H
Rancher
Rancher

Postby leanin' H » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:05 am

What is this rain you speak of??? We desert folks are in a heck of a dry spell. Haven't had a drop of rain since April and we are burning up. 9 major wildfire going in Utah and its tinder dry, even in the high country. If ya'll can send a little this way I'd sure be tickled.
A poor ride beats a great walk any day!
<Parry Taylor>

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:23 pm

Feel for ya H, we burnt up last summer here in the Great smoky north,
Better year here on the ranch with some hay to cut and green pastures. For now.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:37 pm

leanin' H wrote:What is this rain you speak of??? We desert folks are in a heck of a dry spell. Haven't had a drop of rain since April and we are burning up. 9 major wildfire going in Utah and its tinder dry, even in the high country. If ya'll can send a little this way I'd sure be tickled.

So sorry, 'H. Praying for rain for you and your area. Droughts are not fun.

It was dry the whole 3.5 months we were in AZ and didn't seem like it was going to get better. Some places in
Wy are good, some not so good. In SE Mt. the ones that have escaped the hail/tornadoes (and there has been a lot of those) are having bumper crops. We have friends that planted Titracale and it was shoulder high. They are chopping it and weighing the trucks; they say 10 ton to the acre!!! They needed it--been hailed out and in drought for two years. If I can figure out how to get a picture in a message off
my phone, I could post a picture here.

Any suggestions?
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Haytrucker

Postby Haytrucker » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:26 pm

Still raining, 40 A of 2nd alfalfa and all of the N oats are very clean. Straw baling is no fun either. Still have some second cut standing, while some third around is about ready. Good weather for pasture and millet I guess. I'd share if we could.

Broke Cowboy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Broke Cowboy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:00 am

When all else fails wrap it - the quality is there - costs more but makes excellent feed.
Tell The Bank To Get Stuffed

redrobin
Rancher
Rancher

Postby redrobin » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:34 pm

Broke Cowboy wrote:When all else fails wrap it - the quality is there - costs more but makes excellent feed.
hello old friend. I hope all is well. I see the boy raping rag heads didn't kill you yet.

Haytrucker

Postby Haytrucker » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:55 pm

B C, we aren't set up to wrap wet bales. Plan B here is chop the remainder out of the regrowth. Finally had a day without rain and 4 more forecast. Good thing I caught up on my rest. Grazing looks real good. Win some, bale some crap hay.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:00 pm

We are still trying to get our first and only cut done. Finally had a little stretch of 90F weather for about 4 or 5 days so cut a bunch and hardly got any of it to dry because of the humidity. Wrapped somewhere over 100 bales in plastic today while we were getting the odd light shower. Going to wrap all day tomorrow too if we can. Rain forecast for the next few days after tomorrow.

Return to “Ranch Talk”