Ranchers.net Bull Session

automatic or standard

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

automatic or standard

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:26 pm

Because of the storm the other night I'm pretty sure my trailer pulling truck is getting wrote off.
It is a 1997 Dodge Cummins 4x4 2500 with 220Km or 136,000 miles Still a great puller but is beat to hell. Looking around at newer trucks about a 2012 with similar mileage most of them have automatic transmission, I prefer the standard.
What's work for everybody out there?

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Hayguy
Rancher
Rancher

Re: automatic or standard

Postby Hayguy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:33 pm

Duramax with an Allison

i had to

Haytrucker

Postby Haytrucker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:23 pm

I prefer a standard tyranny, but clutches cost half as much as a rebuilt auto, and last half as long. Not always my money, but all my experience. If you trailer in any hills, I'd want a clutch, or whatever is behind the 6.7 Ford. No experience with the others, but I don't need any.

Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Traveler » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Standards aren't even available in most of them........maybe a Ram 3500.

The automatic in my son's 2015 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 gas took a crap recently, at 56000 miles, not an awful lot of pulling.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:45 pm

I found a 012 Ram 3500 with a 6 speed, trying to contact the seller now.
Every other one I have seen is a auto. We are in the hills, they are so big a Duramax can only go down them.

I had to.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:47 pm

Mr. FH thought he would NEVER have an automatic....but he has one and is happy with it. Actually it's the second one he has had
in a Dodge 3500 4x4. This last one he insisted on an Asien transmission and he is tickled to death with it. I'll send you his phone number and he can tell you why he wanted the Asien transmission. It gets ahold quicker....or something like that :???: :lol: . Oops! He LOST his phone--flip phone--had to get one from Amazon!! It should be here on Friday the 13th!! I'll message you our house phone number, or he can call you.
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

jodywy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jodywy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:11 am

Duramax with an Allison
"Every once in a while, I’m overwhelmed by the feeling that I’ve done something REALLY STUPID." -Hank (Hank the Cow Dog ,John R. Erickson)

littlejoe
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littlejoe » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:14 am

Big Muddy rancher wrote:I found a 012 Ram 3500 with a 6 speed, trying to contact the seller now.
Every other one I have seen is a auto. We are in the hills, they are so big a Duramax can only go down them.

I had to.

When they get to the bottem, do they have to pull the cab, sandblast the box and let all the air outa the spare to change an injector?

jodywy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jodywy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:40 am

littlejoe wrote:
Big Muddy rancher wrote:I found a 012 Ram 3500 with a 6 speed, trying to contact the seller now.

I had to.

When they get to the bottem, do they have to pull the cab, sandblast the box and let all the air outa the spare to change an injector?

yes I have had 2 sets of injectors but truck is over 400,000 miles too... most all of it in mountains, now the hills
"Every once in a while, I’m overwhelmed by the feeling that I’ve done something REALLY STUPID." -Hank (Hank the Cow Dog ,John R. Erickson)

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:39 pm

If you go with the Dodge, you'll be glad you got the Aisin transmission, worth the extra bucks. I don't understand why they put a good transmission in some and a crappy one in others...
Lots of hold back with all three brands these days even with their automatics, I don't think there is a wrong choice. I now have the Ford, 440 HP and 935 ft lbs, it's a beast and actually gets really good mileage.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:23 pm

Mr. FH says the exhaust brake is the best on the Dodge; after having conversations with others that have both Ford and Dodge.
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:02 am

Faster horses wrote:Mr. FH says the exhaust brake is the best on the Dodge; after having conversations with others that have both Ford and Dodge.

Boy, that's a pretty close call. The Chev has a good one too. Pre 2017 I would agree with Mr. FH, but now things have changed and in my opinion too close to call.

Return to “Ranch Talk”