My journey in the last couple of weeks/months

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Re: My journey in the last couple of weeks/months

Post by sweetbasil » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:
sweetbasil wrote:
Faster horses wrote:Sounds like you have it pretty well handled, Ella....you and God. Things like that are never easy, but time does heal. My God continue to bless you.
Hello "Faster Horses!"
Thanks to people like you who have taught me so much in 2015 that I am able to keep standing.

Sending you a blizzard of virtual hugs!
Sweetbasil
I think you have taught us "People" at ranchers quite a bit. :D

Merry Christmas
Thank you BMR!

Merry Christmas to you too!

P.S. Do you or your family like dates?

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Post by mrj » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:21 pm

Sweetbasil, that is an awesome study. I'm sure it will be valuable to keep in mind for many of us, from time to time for a refresher in leading a more peaceful life with less stress. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Praying for good roads for your travel to 'The Cities'......and especially praying that the mobs and demonstrations there at the Mall of America won't affect your travels. Stay safe!

mrj

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Big Muddy rancher » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:53 pm

My mother used to make Fruit Jumbo cookies :D they had dates in them.
When my wife and I were first going out she was at our house and Mom offered her a Fruit Jumbo and Tam said"I'm not much on dates" to which I replied "I know" My big mouth has got me into trouble lots :lol:
But we have been married 36 years and now Tam makes me Fruit Jumbo with dates almost as good as Mom"s. :D

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

My Trip to Walmart

Post by sweetbasil » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:22 am

Greetings Everyone,

In the midst of trying to make a coconut custard pie and an apple pie, I realized I needed to make a quick trip to the grocery store to get a roll of wax paper to roll my pie dough. As usual, I headed out to go to grocery store just around the corner from my house. I arrived at the grocery store and the parking lot looked like a ghost town around 6:00 PM due to being Christmas Eve an obvious indication that the store was closed. I then headed to Walmart, a place that I tend to avoid at all costs, but for some reason today, I had an itch and my foot was overly stubborn and stayed on the gas pedal until I found myself at Walmart. I was excited thinking about baking and didn't paid much attention on whether I really wanted to go there. When I am on a mission trying to buy something, you better move out of my way, because I like to go straight to the isle that has what I need and rush out, and when it comes to Walmart, I tend to make that particular trip faster than the Bullet Train in Japan.

As I entered the gigantic store that usually makes me feel like a tiny pebble in the sea, I realized I needed to grab a bottle of Almond Butter, so, I just made a quick U-Turn to get me to the isle with breakfast products. in the opposite direction. There was something different about walking into this isle, I can't think of a single word that would accurately describe the feeling as I skipped myself to the isle and abruptly made a stop at the jelly section within the isle. I don't go around looking at people as I usually find myself in my own world plugged into my music, but today, my eyes gravitated to the man standing next to me observing the different jellies while I was trying to locate the Almond Butter; I did located the little sucker of a bottle, but being a "tall" woman, I ended up getting on my toes in order to finally reach the last bottle that was left. Then once I was able to breath after all of that stretching, my eyes went back to this man. For the first three minutes of observing him, I noticed he was hesitant on which jelly to get and his hesitation did not appeared to be due because of he was trying to select what he liked, but rather, what he could afford.

My eyes then shifted to his cart, and I only saw a loaf of bread, two packages of hot dogs, and now, the jelly will be added to his assortment of groceries. By this time, he was still weighing mentally trying to squeeze every dime. His behavior while trying to decide which jelly was familiar as I have been there before. I could tell this man was struggling trying to budget what he could get tonight. What day is today? I didn't needed to ask if this man is going through a major struggle, his jeans had big holes around his knees. No, I don't think he was wearing them because he is trying to keep up with the fashion trends. His sneakers had holes in the front area where the big toes take resident,and not much sole left. His sweater was in need of washing and overdue for replacement and his hair ready for a haircut. There were two words that flashed through my mind within these couple of minutes: brokenness and struggle. He was probably 37 or so, and his face reflected great tiredness and a deep level of exhaustion. I could easily tell that this man's life has been a struggle, perhaps, a major struggle for a long time and he looked defeated. I knew the reason why I needed to go to Walmart, it was not to grab the wax paper, but to connect with this man. Why am I sharing this with you?

It is Christmas Eve and I have the power to let my eyes see beautiful trees that are repost on Facebook flooded with Christmas gifts, homes filled with joy, families enjoying each other, but as I get to see this part of the season, my eyes also get to see the other side: people who are fighting battles ,and in the case of this man, a battle to afford life's necessities such as buying something to eat. Today, not every home is filled with joy, every person has a roof over his/her head, enough to make a decent meal, and many people are grieving the loss of loved one, a marriage, and longing to have your or a family member with you that is currently across the world serving his/her country.

I shared this story to remind us that even thought you and I are going through a difficult time, I know that I don't have enough fingers to count the blessings in my life today and the same was true yesterday and tomorrow. The battle that this man is fighting and the Cross that he is carrying right now was very evident, and no words needed to be exchanged in order for me to understand where he is at in his life.

Whatever your battle is for today, remember that you don't need to fight it alone because He has your back, and knows the best strategy for you to win it in His time. If you are suffering in whatever way, lay it at His feet, seek refuge in His loving presence, and remember, there is no battle that you are going through that He does not understand.

Merry Christmas!
Sweetbasil

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Post by sweetbasil » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:25 am

Big Muddy rancher wrote:My mother used to make Fruit Jumbo cookies :D they had dates in them.
When my wife and I were first going out she was at our house and Mom offered her a Fruit Jumbo and Tam said"I'm not much on dates" to which I replied "I know" My big mouth has got me into trouble lots :lol:
But we have been married 36 years and now Tam makes me Fruit Jumbo with dates almost as good as Mom"s. :D

Hello BMR!

I plan on giving your wife some dates inventory to ensure some Fruit Jumbo cookies will make their way into the kitchen in 2016! :) They might get there by pony express at this rate, but will get there sometime in January...

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Post by sweetbasil » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:32 am

mrj wrote:Sweetbasil, that is an awesome study. I'm sure it will be valuable to keep in mind for many of us, from time to time for a refresher in leading a more peaceful life with less stress. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Praying for good roads for your travel to 'The Cities'......and especially praying that the mobs and demonstrations there at the Mall of America won't affect your travels. Stay safe!

mrj
Hi MRJ,
After replying to your last post, my computer decided to developed dyslexia and I couldn't make it get my post through... "If only I was a Rich (Woman) ...." I could throw this Dell out the window. I love to write but lately with my computer it is frustrating. I am so glad that you found this exercise useful, it helped me greatly and I felt like I loss 50 pounds after doing it. I think I gained these pound back since my mom got here and delivered me a box of dates. I need to get that electric wire around my refrigerator door to keep me from getting to them! LOL... This afternoon I got on a sugar high and it was not fun, but didn't kept me from making an extra trip. Here I am giggling while typing this post and I totally forgot my mom was sleeping in the room and she just came out to ask me about what I was giggling at.... I don't know if the sugar wave has settled down yet...

May you'll have a Merry Christmas!
Sweetbasil

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Faster horses » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:12 am

May you have a Merry Christmas, Ella. And a Happy New Year.

If you ever make pies and are out of wax paper, you can just use flour on your countertop. I do it all the time. :-)

Thanks for the reminder of how blessed we are. It is easy to take it for granted. I wonder if that man at Wal-Mart knows
he could go to the Salvation Army? That is who we give most of our donations to (besides Veterans organizations) because they
do the most good with the least Administrative costs.
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Big Muddy rancher » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:46 am

It's the season of good deeds
Last night I got a call from a towing company 90 miles away. A Suburban was stuck in the ditch near us and the lady who I know asked if I could go pull them out of the ditch. Since I got a big Red Power Wagon with a winch just a couple weeks ago I said sure.
Turns out it was a Canada Custom officer from the nearby Port of entry with a couple of co-workers there. Well the winch worked great and in short order they were out of the ditch and on their way.
I wonder if they believe in Santa Claus after a big guy with a white beard in a big red truck showed up on Xmas eve to help them out? :santa: :cowboy: :lol:

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Post by sweetbasil » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:20 am

Faster horses wrote:May you have a Merry Christmas, Ella. And a Happy New Year.

If you ever make pies and are out of wax paper, you can just use flour on your countertop. I do it all the time. :-)

Thanks for the reminder of how blessed we are. It is easy to take it for granted. I wonder if that man at Wal-Mart knows
he could go to the Salvation Army? That is who we give most of our donations to (besides Veterans organizations) because they
do the most good with the least Administrative costs.
Hello "Faster Horses!"
Merry Christmas to you too! I got out of the store with parchment paper (LOL). I don't think God planned for me to go to Walmart to get what I needed, but for His own reason. I came home and ended rolling the dough on the countertop, much more fun. I don't know if this man knows he could get help at the Salvation Army, and I like you, I am a fan of the good work that they do.

Have a blessed day,
Sweetbasil

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Post by sweetbasil » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:24 am

Big Muddy rancher wrote:It's the season of good deeds
Last night I got a call from a towing company 90 miles away. A Suburban was stuck in the ditch near us and the lady who I know asked if I could go pull them out of the ditch. Since I got a big Red Power Wagon with a winch just a couple weeks ago I said sure.
Turns out it was a Canada Custom officer from the nearby Port of entry with a couple of co-workers there. Well the winch worked great and in short order they were out of the ditch and on their way.
I wonder if they believe in Santa Claus after a big guy with a white beard in a big red truck showed up on Xmas eve to help them out? :santa: :cowboy: :lol:
BMR,
So glad to hear that you helped them. I often think what will I do if I end up in a ditch and I am more than 100 miles out of where I live to get AAA to help me. I am sure they felt blessed to know that there are good people doing great things.

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Post by mrj » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:18 pm

One of our grandsons got to do the 'good Samaritan' thing earlier in the week. A neighbor called saying his tractor couldn't pull a semi out of the snow on his road. We happened to have one with new tires which hadn't had much wear. The truck wasn't expected at the neighbors', and turns out the drive was just going where the gps told him to. However it was about 40 miles or more too far north. Guess we can't always rely on those things. When they work, they are great, tho. No way could my partner have driven straight to our hotel in San Antonio, the seventh largest city in the USA, without it last winter. And, yes, our tractor was able to pull the truck out.....twice! Then the trucker was able to get back up the long, high hill by himself, and head off in the right direction. And I'm sure the guys who assisted him gave him some good pointers on finding the place, too, it being on a road we travel on occasion.

mrj

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Temptations

Post by sweetbasil » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:46 am

Christmas Night 2015 ---

It is a virtue to be able to have quiet time to let your mind be still, reflect on where you are going in life and how you will get there. What do I want to do next? My #1 resolution for 2016 is to strive to live my life in alignment to God's Word and Will for my life. Will this be an easy thing? I doubt it, but I have managed to take it one tiny step at a time for the last 10 months, and each day, it becomes easier than the previous one. One of the greatest obstacles every person faces while trying to live a Godly life is having the courage to resist the temptation to sin.

The Bible gives us some examples of people who were tempted to sin, such as King David and even Jesus himself. Having the discernment to know when you are being tempted to sin is not easy, I think one becomes more aware of the tricks of the devil trying to push you to fall into temptation the you more seek God's guidance every day and ask to protect you. There are many kinds of temptation, the oldest form of temptation is sexual temptation. I personally hate sexual temptation as I have seeing how people become slaved to this temptation which robs them from experiencing God's blessings for them.

What was the different between King David and Jesus went they were tempted? Do you know? The difference is that King David when he was tempted, he didn't turned away from it and run to God to repent, but rather joined in the momentary pleasure that any temptation has to offer. Falling prey to any temptation has great consequences to one's life. I believe that when a person falls into adultery as an example, it is like smoking. The pleasure a person gets from smoking is absolutely immediate gratification, with every breath that a person inhales, the presence of the smoke is getting stronger in a person's lungs. The individual becomes more and more addicted to continuing depending on the sin to get the pleasure just as he/she becomes more dependent on the cigarette. Slowly, the smoke just like the sin is getting a good hold of the person's most vital parts of his/her life. It might take a while for the symptoms to show, but in due time, the temptation will impact not only the emotional stage of the person but every aspect of his/her life. Sexual temptations start with improper sexual attractions with the person of the opposite sex and it all starts with a thought. Even thought some of these thoughts are not acted at times, it is lust and lust is a sin. If a person does not confess these thoughts to God and sincerely repent for having entertained these thoughts and turned away from the, one is opening the doors to evil and rolling in the red carpet to come into one's heart. When one starts nurturing those thoughts and the next thing you know, they will no longer be just thoughts but something you have already performed. If you entertained these thoughts and actual acted on them, you won't get caught immediately, but in due time, these temptations will lead to destroying the most precious things God has given you. I don't think many people understand how the devil is going to attack you with temptation and put every person and circumstance infront of you because he knows you as well as God knows and he also knows your weak points. Why? The devil will try to steal what has been given to you by God, the more you have, the more you will be exposed to being tempted and fall into sin. Is it worth it? Is it worth it to be making excuses to cover up the sin? Confessing our sins liberates us and enables us to be forgiven and recognized that we are imperfect, but it gives us a peace to know that God can help give you the necessary tools to overcome any temptation and not fall into the trap of the devil. If you refer to the Bible, Jesus was tempted just before His breakthrough, and in most cases, temptation will knocked at your door all beautifully wrapped promising all kinds of pleasure and gratification, but remember, it will only be a temporary thing and the consequences will be long-term. We are reminded that "... one is tempted when he drawn away by his own desires enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death. Do not be deceived, my beloved" (James 1:14-16). Is the pleasure from falling into temptation worth the "death" of everything that God has promised you for your life?

My prayer for you is to seek God's counsel and wisdom, so that when temptation is knocking at your door, you will have the courage to keep the door closed.

Blessings,
Sweetbasil