cattle dealers

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Northern Rancher » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:28 am

The good old semiannual dispersal-didn't your neighbor Vic Gentry get into some hot water over one of those with the IRS-my only tour through the Sandhills we stopped at his place to look at Gelbvieh cattle.

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Soapweed » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:33 am

Northern Rancher wrote:The good old semiannual dispersal-didn't your neighbor Vic Gentry get into some hot water over one of those with the IRS-my only tour through the Sandhills we stopped at his place to look at Gelbvieh cattle.
That last sale did turn out rather exciting. Before it was over, IRS agents were at every entrance to the sale barn and people weren't allowed to leave or enter. I had been there earlier, but unfortunately left too quick to get in on the excitement. :?

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Northern Rancher » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:42 am

If you ever go into the bar in Hyannis my old buddies picture-Mac McKie is up on the wallriding a bronc. We just hit Gentry's by accident-I saw the Whitman sign and got thinking there was a pb breeder close by then we saw their gate. It was a good road trip 3600 miles in 6 days and about 15 stops lol.

WyomingRancher
Rancher
Rancher

Post by WyomingRancher » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:58 am

Soapweed wrote:Kind of along the same lines, is it ethical for an auctioneer or seller to advertise a "complete" cattle dispersion, and then not sell every cow?
Good point. Or to advertise a "Complete Dispersal" every fall from the same person who buys a bunch of junk which lost a calf the prior spring, breeds these cows to black bulls, then sells this bunch of bred, fat, dry cows each fall through the same auctioneers.

I guess it's the buyer's responsibility to recognize a bunch of different brands, and obvious dry cows. Just find it disgusting none the less.

balestabber

cattle dealers

Post by balestabber » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:03 pm

i think this has been a good post.i have learned alot from canada,to the sandhills,to the midwest.back in the seventies there was a livestock auction every 30 miles in any direction in my country in the midwest.the employees may work a sale every day of the week,working in several of the barns with long hours and hard work.these were good ol' boys but could tell some good stories.they seen many of the same cattle in the different barns,from different states,with different tags.the "term" salebarn jockey was used loosely.enough of that

i do think some things have changed since the sixties and seventies and there are fewer barns and they are struggling.u have all been correct,and buyer and seller should still beware.THANK-YOU for your opinions and letting me vent mine :-) :-)

flyingS

Post by flyingS » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:40 pm

Northern Rancher, I think it's funny that you know who Vic Gentry is. You are probably about the only person that I have heard mention his name, that was not local, that he did not get into in one way or another. There is a guy that would sell his own mother.

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Northern Rancher » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:44 pm

Ohh he ran into a bunch of Charolais guys up here with lots of money and no experience after Vic was done he had the money and they had the experience lol. I like to search out characters and have a visit lol.

Chloe76

Re: cattle dealers

Post by Chloe76 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:10 am

I know Vic Gentry very well unfortunately and he is just as same as ever. He is now back in Nebraska living in North Platte with his wife Dottie. I would like to more about what exactly happened with the IRS. I’ve seen them make money from people everywhere they go. It explains why they move so often.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Big Muddy rancher » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:52 am

Well Northern Rancher can't tell you any more as he has passed away a few years ago. He wasn't that old but cancer got him.. He was always good for a story here on ranchers.
Some of the rest on this thread show up here only occasionally but they might see this resurrected thread.

Welcome to Ranchers.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Faster horses » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:55 am

I read through it all and enjoyed every post.

It's been awhile since 'burnt' has been on here. I miss him.
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Soapweed » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:43 pm

That was a blast from the past. :cboy:

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Big Muddy rancher » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:22 pm

Good ole days