March blizzard 2019

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Re: March blizzard 2019

Post by Traveler » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:18 pm

Haytrucker

Post by Haytrucker » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:21 pm

We waded out on Friday and just crawled back in tonight. Calf losses are gonna be an issue in the Ne panhandle, east of us they have larger issues. Feeder cattle are compromised as well between the mud and diet changes due to road failures. Payloader or bi-directional for calf sleds here. There should be grass for the survivors, probably plenty to go around. Capital to put up hay may be an issue. Farming looks like it's gonna need to happen in a week. Just 60 days worth...

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Big Muddy rancher » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:40 pm

So Sad, feel bad for you folks.

Ranching and farming is tough enough without that happening.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Haytrucker

Post by Haytrucker » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:09 pm

We will mud-dle through. I may need both hips replaced way sooner than planned. I can't believe how much strain the wading is on them. Rain changing to snow starting tomorrow night. The good news is we can start cussing April pretty soon.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Big Muddy rancher » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:28 pm

Haytrucker wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:09 pm
We will mud-dle through. I may need both hips replaced way sooner than planned. I can't believe how much strain the wading is on them. Rain changing to snow starting tomorrow night. The good news is we can start cussing April pretty soon.
I hear you, we had to sort a few breds out of a pen of replacements this morning. half the time we had one foot or the other stuck so bad we couldn't move.

I can't tame wild women.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Faster horses » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:35 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:28 pm
Haytrucker wrote:
I hear you, we had to sort a few breds out of a pen of replacements this morning. half the time we had one foot or the other stuck so bad we couldn't move.
That's why they are called MUCK boots. :lol2:
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Big Muddy rancher » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:36 am

Faster horses wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:35 pm
Big Muddy rancher wrote:
Haytrucker wrote:

It was MUCK alright. Almost lost them a couple times. :shock:

I can't tame wild women.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Faster horses » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:34 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:36 am
Faster horses wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:35 pm
Big Muddy rancher wrote:

It was MUCK alright. Almost lost them a couple times. :shock:
:lol2: Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. :lol:
Only thing worse is losing your footwear in black resevoir mud. S-T-I-N-K-Y!
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Traveler » Mon May 27, 2019 9:39 am

How short is the hay crop going to be, with lots of flooded meadows?

http://sandhillsexpress.com/local-news/ ... point-dam/

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Big Muddy rancher » Tue May 28, 2019 7:00 am

We can't buy a rain.
Just an inch of precip in April and north of is not even that and nothing to measure in May and doesn't look like we will get anything as it's to get hot this next week. Sure hope June turns it around or it's going to get ugly.

I can't tame wild women.

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Soapweed » Tue May 28, 2019 8:25 am

Big Muddy rancher wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:00 am
We can't buy a rain.
Just an inch of precip in April and north of is not even that and nothing to measure in May and doesn't look like we will get anything as it's to get hot this next week. Sure hope June turns it around or it's going to get ugly.
Wish we could share. Our roads are all but impassable, and the meadows and low ground are covered with water. This is the wettest I've ever seen this country in my 67 year life span. Many bridges are out, and not too many miles away there are buildings under water. It's hard to keep in mind the old Sandhills axiom: "We are never over two weeks away from a drought." At the moment, we could maybe go three weeks until the next rain. I hope conditions turn around for you, Big Muddy, so your name will once again be appropriate.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Faster horses » Tue May 28, 2019 9:38 am

Soapweed wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:25 am
Big Muddy rancher wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:00 am
We can't buy a rain.
Wish we could share. Our roads are all but impassable, and the meadows and low ground are covered with water. This is the wettest I've ever seen this country in my 67 year life span. Many bridges are out, and not too many miles away there are buildings under water. It's hard to keep in mind the old Sandhills axiom: "We are never over two weeks away from a drought." At the moment, we could maybe go three weeks until the next rain. I hope conditions turn around for you, Big Muddy, so your name will once again be appropriate.
I would glady share with you, too, BMR. We have water standing in the lawn. :shock: Over 2" of rain since yesterday mid-morning
and a lot of rain and snow before that. Had to get the septic tank guy out to check on things since the cap that sticks up in the lawn came off the tank. No problem......yet...caused from all the ground water, he said. It is supposed to rain until 3 pm today and it is coming down hard.

Like Soapweed, I can't remember this much rain in May. It's been a long time since we have had a 3 day rain and
we used to get that in June.

Hope things change for you, BMR. :help: